A castle on a hilltop
From the distance, this estate might look like a castle, but as you reach the top of the hill and drive through the gate the feeling is more that of an informal hamlet. To the left is the main house, a charming building dating from the 18th century, originally a hunting lodge.
Architecturally conceived as a 'twin-building' with two identical main doors, staircases, living rooms and kitchens, the house was easily divided. One part has now been adapted to be rented out; the other part is lived in by the owners.
In front of the house a large table under a wysteria covered pergola is where you will be having your meals at the sound of the fountain. The large garden is terraced and planted with palm, orange and olive trees. A pathway through the garden leads to the small private swimming pool.
Down the hill 1 km from the castle you will find a bar for your daily Cappuccino, a small supermarket, a bank and post office. The nearest beach is at 14 km. In the immediate vicinity there are a couple of excellent restaurants specialized in local country fare. Many more are to be found at not more than a 15 to 20 minute drive.
Please note: On the rear and on the foot of the hill there is a stone pit. If stones are milled some noise could reach the castle.
A lesser known and therefore all the more captivating part of Tuscany, the Maremma extends along the southern Tuscan coast. As it moves away from the sea, the land slowly rises, shaping hills covered in olive groves, fields and woods. This hamlet stands on the edge of the plain, on top of the first small hill, only 14 km from the sea. It is the centre of a large private property which consists mainly of woodland and Mediterranean 'macchia'. The views from the Castello are marvelous, looking out onto the blue Tirrenean sea to one direction, onto olive groves, far-stretching fields and rolling hills on the other.
Since several hundred years the estate belongs to the same family. The estate was originally 8000 hectares, reduced to 3000 by state expropriation. Over 95% remains woodland, and of the remaining 150, just 18 hectares of the finest land has been transformed into vineyards by the owner, since 1995. In 1759 the owner brought agriculture to the previously malaria infested swamp that was the Maremma. Today it is the new frontier for Tuscan agriculture. Here the owner continues to forge new ground and is at the forefront of those bringing new wine making techniques to the region.
The Maremma is the last stretch of unspoiled coastline in Italy. The hills of the Monti dell’ Uccellina form the core of the Parco Naturale della Maremma, an incredibly beautiful nature reserve with a breathtaking landscape of cliffs, forested hills, coastal marshes and beaches, a haven for deer, boar, wild horses and the ghostly Maremma cattle. Visit Scansano, Grosseto, Castiglione and the trendy harbor of Puntala. Birdwatchers will not want to miss the lagoons at Argentario, Orbetello, and Burano, stopovers for migrating waterfowl. Think of the Maremma for nature, bird-watching, views, hilltop villages, and wines.
Our Guests Reviews
Entschuldigen Sie die Verspätung für das Feedback. Hatte sehr viel zu tun. Dass Castello wo wir zum 90-sten meiner Mutter waren, war der Hammer !! Unheimlich schön !! Man fühlt sich sofort wohl. Das Castello ist ja ein Traum! Auch die Leute, die da arbeiten sind wahnsinnig nett ! Und erst die Köchinnen, die uns zweimal bekocht haben ! Vom Feinsten ! Die hätten wir am liebsten gerade mit nach Hause genommen ! Lieber Gruss und danke für den Supertip !
B. Lechler, August 2010
HOLIDAY HOME AMENITIES
- Pool: 4.5 x 9m
- Pool prefabricated partially built-in
- Internet WIFI connection
- TV (regional channels)
- Washing machine
- Large fridge with freezer
- Stove with oven
- Electric kettle
- Iron and ironing board
- Screens on all bedroom windows
- Large pergola for meals outside
- Terraced garden
- Barbecue only upon request (to be advised upon booking)
Restaurant, bar 1 km
Grocery shop 1 km
Tennis court 3 km
Golf course 9 km
Riding stable 10 km
Albinia beach 14 km
Capalbio 15 km
Orbetello 21 km
Porto Ercole 28 km
Hot springs Saturnia 35 km
Tarquinia 40 km
Tuscania 40 km
Grosseto 45 km
Viterbo 95 km
Siena 120 km
Rome 150 km
Florence 190 km
Pisa 200 km
The beach and the sea: The beach at 14 km from the estate is of fine white sand. Generally the water is warm enough to swim from mid May to mid October. The shallow sandy beach is suitable for small children. Giannella beach is a free public beach with many bathing establishments, bars, restaurants. It is perfect for families with small children. Car parking is possible all along the coast. During July and August Gianella is more busy, but newer crowded. You can hire a boat to visit the hidden creeks of the islands Giglio and Giannutri.
The wine estate: The property has an ambitious and interesting wine production. It is possible to have a visit of the cellars followed by a tasting.
The WWF Maremma National Park: The Park encompasses seven towers, the remains of an abbey and twenty six grottoes. In summer the National Park can only be visited accompanied by a guide. Visits by night from 8 to 11 pm are a special thrill. At 30 minutes from the property.
The Etruscans: A trip through what was known as Etruria is one of the most interesting archaeological excursions in Italy. Tarquinia and Tuscania, only 30 km away from the estate, boast worldwide famous archeological excavations which should not be missed.
Monte Argentario: Only 20 minutes from the esrtate lies the Monte Argentario, a peninsula connected with the mainland by three dams. The Monte Argentario is known for its fine coastline, rich mediterranean vegetation and the two jet set harbours Porto Ercole and Porto Santo Stefano.
The Tarot-Garden of Niki de Saint-Phalle: On one of the hills not far from the estate the famous french artist hs built her „Jardin des Tarots“, twenty two giant sculptures inspired by the figures of the magic tarot cards. Children love it!
The islands and hiring a boat: In Porto Santo Stefano, 30 minutes drive from the estate, you can hire boat which will take you to te islands of Giglio and Giannutri off the Tuscan coast. Giglio has a charming main village and castle, and many creeks hidden between the cliffs. Giannutri, its bare coastline dominated by the ruins of a Roman villa overlooking the sea, recalls some of the Greek islands, which deep-sea divers can look for sunken Roman galeons on the sea bed.
The hot springs of Saturnia: Tuscany is famous for its hot springs. Saturnia, at only 40 minutes from the estate, is the most spectacular, with hot waterfalls in the middle of nature. In summer one might prefer coming here in the evening or even better, at night.
Horseback riding: A tradition in Maremma. At a 20 minute drive there is a riding stable with horses of Maremman breed.
Golf: There are two golf courses in the area. At a 20 minute drive the Golf Club Maremmello has 9 holes, Par 70. The famous Punta Ala Golf course is at an hour's drive away and has 18 holes, Par 72.
Closest shopping: In Albinia at 10 km you will find an excellent supermarket and many specialized shops. Near the house, just at the bottom of the hill at less than 1 km, there is an alimentari (small grocery shop), bar, bank and post office.
Please note: the Google Maps are only approximative, the exact address will be given after finalized booking.
Choose your holiday home
Eight bedrooms and four bathrooms are available.
1 living room
1 TV room
1 dining room
1 double bedroom
2 twin bedrooms
2 double bedrooms
1 twin bedroom
1 twin bedroom with washbasin
1 single bedroom with washbasin
Large pergola for outdoor meals
Terraced garden with orange, palm and olive trees
Small pool 9 x 4.50 x 1.50 m
14 Sep 2019 - 02 Nov 2019
3200 EUR €
4100 EUR €
Weekly rates in €
|Castello Maremma||02 Mar 2019 - 15 Jun 2019
14 Sep 2019 - 02 Nov 2019
|15 Jun 2019 - 14 Sep 2019
15 PAX 15
|3200 EUR €||4100 EUR €||N/A||Request BookingCastello Maremma|
Please complete the following form so that we can provide fast service in checking availability.
All fields marked with * are required.
- Click the green Submit button below to send your inquiry.
- If the villa/apartment is available, you can make your reservation after having received our response.
- Please also read How To Make A Reservation.
- Bed, bath and kitchen linens
- Internet WIFI connection
- Maid service (3 hours house cleaning 3 times per week)
- Should you have rented Castello Maremma for more than 1 week, the house will be cleaned on Saturdays and the linen will be changed.
- Heating (if required): metered. Please be aware that central heating is very expensive in Italy. The average cost in winter varies according to the outdoor temperature and the amount of time the heating is turned on. Figure approx. Euros 80 per day for several hours heating a day.
- Wood for fireplace: EUR 20 per basket
- Baby bed: EUR 15 per week. Baby bed can be booked for children up to their 4th birthday.
- High chair: EUR 10 per week
- Telephone: metered
- Final cleaning: EUR 200
- Pet allowed only on request when booking: There is an extra charge from EUR 50 to 100 per week depending on the size and dog fur.
EUR 400 cash deposit are due on arrival.
SERVICE ON REQUEST (please enquire with us when booking)
- Extra domestic help (house cleaning, washing and ironing): EUR 15 per hour / minimum 2 hours
- Arrival dinner: The estate can book a table in the nearby local restaurant (2 km). The restaurant offers sandwiches and excellent local meat served in burgers or traditional cut. Homemade fries, grilled vegetables, homemade ice cream. Simple but excellent and friendly stuff! Menus as from EUR 10 (Homemade Hamburger with French fries and ice cream). Veggie burgers for vegetarians. Please book in time (when receiving the travel documents) prior to arrival!
- Cook for dinner during the week (Monday to Friday): A cook will prepare dinners for you. You can book a simple and traditional dinner prepared by a lady working on the estate. The costs or are EUR 15 Euro per hour (shopping time, preparation, cleaning kitchen), plus the groceries. The menu can be discussed upon arrival. Please note that, for larger groups two cooks are necessary for the preparation of meals. Please book prior to your arrival. The menu can be discussed upon arrival.
- Set of beach towels: EUR 4 per towel
- Reservations from Saturday to Saturday
- Availability only during the above mentioned dates
- Pool opening dates: beginning of June - end of September
House in walking distance to the sandy beach
- Sleeps 6-12 Guests
- Bedrooms 3/3 Bedrooms
- Bathrooms 2/2 Bathrooms
- Floor area sq m 100/75 m2 m2
A philanthropist’s summer villa between Florence and Pisa - Class listed/landmarked building
- Sleeps 12+3 Guests
- Bedrooms 6 Bedrooms
- Bathrooms 4+1 WC Bathrooms
- Floor area sq m 400 m2 m2