|Location||15 km south-east of Pisa.|
A wonderful patrician country house.
|Prices||€ 3100 - 6690 per weekPrices, Availability & Booking|
A philanthropist's summer residence
In the summers of a century ago aristocrats and academics from the ancient University of Pisa as well as naval officers from the nearby port of Leghorn retreated to their patrician country residences built on the gentle hillsides shouldering Pisa. One of these, the Villa Giola, was built in the 1700's. Originally a hunting lodge, the villa acquired its actual dimensions in the second half of the 1800's, when the owners, two brothers, renowned for their philanthropy, descendants of a whealthy aristocratic family from Pisa, whose life was dedicated to the arts, added the tower which was to become their artists' atelier.
The two brothers, renowned for their philanthropy, invited for many years leading exponents of the Italian impressionist movement to spend their summers here. This was the golden era of the impressionists, known locally as the "Macchiaioli", derived from "macchia" which means as much as "dot" or "stain" and is a reference to the impressionistic stroke of the brush. This powerful, though at the time controversial, movement embraced some of the leading painters of the day, many of whom had studied in Paris. This was a time when artists were venturing beyond the confines of their studios into nature and the constantly fluctuating light and colours of the surrounding countryside, breaking with academic traditions, seeking new frontiers. There was a pressing urge to congregate among fellow artists to exchange ideas and derive strength from each other's inspiration. The wife of one of the two painting brothers, offered these striving artists a haven. Intelligent, cultivated and well-read, she flung open the doors of the Villa Giola to the most avant-garde artists, intelligentsia and writers of the time. Among these Fattori, Lega, Signorini, Kienerk and Cecconi came and stayed in the villa for many a long summer.
The present owners are direct descendants of the two brothers. They treasure their inheritance and one their most fervent wishes is to safeguard and upkeep this house which has such an important past. The spirit of those times has remained to this day. Villa Giola, with sun pouring in through the French windows, its pastel colours and spacious gardens is still a place to find fulfilment and inspiration. The house and gardens in their bucolic surroundings will give you a taste of some of the best that Tuscany has to offer: art and elegance, luxury and leisure among gently rolling hillsides. And from a more mundane point of view: fruit and vegetables from the villa garden as well as excellent restaurants in the vicinity specialised either in fish menus or Tuscan cuisine. There is a small trattoria just down the road, and many more are to be found in the country villages surrounding the estate.
Set high in the idyllic landscape of the hills south-east of Pisa, this patrician country house is approached by an age-old alley of birch trees which, beyond the tall gates, leads into the spacious and well-kept gardens of the villa. The villa is surrounded by extensive lawns, century old holm oaks, an orchard and a vegetable garden. Beyond the garden walls lie olive groves and fields. It was from here that these painters could venture out into the open countryside, capturing the play of light on nature in all its many hues and facets and transferring them to canvas.
On the ground floor, the large main living room opens onto an extensive lawn bordered by English roses and hydrangeas. Large holm oaks lend their shade to an outdoor living area. The kitchen is fully equipped and there are six spacious bedrooms all of which have a splendid view. They have been decorated in a traditional Tuscan country house style with metal bedsteads, cotton prints as well as paintings and other antiques belonging to the family. Above the painter's atelier, on top of the tower of the villa, a stunning loggia with arches on all four sides gives you marvellous views onto the surrounding landscape. The private pool of Villa Giola is located in a sunny and secluded part of the garden, which can be closed off by a gate for the security of small children.
The surrounding area
Pisa and Livorno are within a radius of 20 minutes by car, Florence, Volterra and San Gimignano are 45 minutes by car, Siena is an hour's drive away.
Lucca: At 45 minutes by car, Lucca is one of the most enchanting towns in Tuscany - strolling along the wide avenues along the top of the ancient city walls or in the narrow streets with their ninety nine churches, browsing among the old-fashioned little boutiques, sipping a cappuccino at one of the many bars, tasting the best ice-cream, visiting the richly endowed museums - is a sheer delight.
The famous villas around Lucca: Some of these historic villas are open to the public and a few have internationally renowned gardens, all of which makes highly rewarding sight-seeing while staying in the area.
The seaside: the nearest sea resorts are at approximately 20 minutes away. At a 40 minute drive north are sandy beaches along the coast of Versilia at turn of the century Viareggio and fashionable Forte dei Marmi with their trendy bars, designer shopping and some of the best seafood restaurants in Italy. You will find amore natural coastline in the Maremma, which is at a 40 minute drive to the south.
Carrara: A visit to the nearby marble mines, still active since the times of Michelangelo, jagged white slopes high up in the surrounding hills is a fascinating experience, while artists can still be seen working in the marble workshops below.
Airports and transport: Pisa airport is at 15 kilometres and 20 minute drive away. Florence airport is 80 kilometres and under one hour away. Rome international and intercontinental airport is three and a half hours away. Pisa has a well-connected train station.
If rented for 12 people 12+3
1 entrance hall
1 living room with French windows
1 drawing room with fireplace
1 study with TV
1 dining room
1 living room
1 twin or double with en suite bathroom (shower)
1 double bedroom
4 double or twins (as requested)
3 further bathrooms (two with tub and one with shower)
(1 extra bedroom with twin beds available at extra charge)
Painter's atelier and loggia
Traditionally planted garden with local trees, old roses and hydrangea bushes
Vegetable garden (the caretakers will bring the produce directly to the villa table)
Sheltered pool area, with gates for children and bamboo shade roof
Swimming pool 11 x 4.5 m
Comfortable pool furniture and towels
Dining table for 12
Parking space for two to three cars
Sara, the housekeeper, lives in a separate wing of the villa with her family. They have 2 small children. They also have 3 cats and 2 dogs. The dogs are in a fenced area during the day and, if guests are not opposed, are left to run around later at night. This can be discussed with the caretakers on the spot.
If rented for 10 people 10
If rented for 8 people 8
Weekly rates in €
|Villa Giola||05 May 2018 - 02 Jun 2018
||02 Jun 2018 - 30 Jun 2018
25 Aug 2018 - 29 Sep 2018
|30 Jun 2018 - 25 Aug 2018
If rented for 12 people
12+3 PAX 12
|4550 EUR €||5550 EUR €||6690 EUR €||Calendar||Request BookingIf rented for 12 people|
If rented for 10 people
10 PAX 10
|3760 EUR €||4580 EUR €||5550 EUR €||Calendar||Request BookingIf rented for 10 people|
If rented for 8 people
8 PAX 8
|3100 EUR €||3750 EUR €||4500 EUR €||Calendar||Request BookingIf rented for 8 people|
Please complete the following form so that we can provide fast service in checking availability.
All fields marked with * are required.
- Click the green Submit button below to send your inquiry.
- If the villa/apartment is available, you can make your reservation after having received our response.
- Please also read How To Make A Reservation.
Reservations from Saturday to Saturday.
Availability only during the above mentioned dates.
Central heating not available.
Pool size: 11 x 4,5 m (prefabricated) / opening dates: mid of May - end of September. The pool is gated. Pool towels are provided.
2 baby beds with linen, 2 high chairs, 1 pram and 1 baby bath are available. Baby beds can be booked for children up to their 4th birthday.
Extra services available only on request (first shopping, babysitter, cooking course), to be specified when booking and to be paid in cash in euros on the premises at the end of each working day:
- First shopping: EUR 150 (expenses for a few basics and shopping time included). The shopping list includes: bread, butter, jam, eggs, 2 litres of milk, 1 packet Earl Grey tea, 1 packet coffee, natural yoghurt, 2 bottles of orange juice, 2 kg fruits of the season, 2 kg pasta (noodles), 2 jars tomato sauce, 1 piece fresh parmesan cheese, salad and tomatoes, extra vergin olive oil, 4 litres mineral water, 3 bottles of beer, dishwasher detergent.
- Babysitter: A babysitter is available in the daytime and/or the evenings. She speaks English. If there are more than 2 children, 2 babysitters will have to be hired. The cost is EUR 15 per hour. Please make arrangements in advance, before your arrival.
- Cooking course: EUR 35 per person for 2 to 6 students. EUR 40 per person if you are more than 6. This rate does not include the ingredients which the chef will charge separately with the receipts of the shops. You can choose from two different menues and the chef speaks good English.
- Help with your suitcase: Giuseppe, the caretaker can help carry your suitcases upon arrival and departure. Please advise us when booking (and please remember to give Giuseppe a tip!).
For additional services on the premises, please contact us.
Security deposit, wood for fireplace, telephone, additional bedroom, additional bed to be paid in euros on the premises:
- Security deposit: Prior to arrival guests are asked to make a security deposit of EUR 1000 (credit card pre-authorisation held by our agency). At the end of the stay the credit card pre-autorisation will be cancelled, unless it has to be used partly or fully for any damage or unpaid local expenses. If you bring a dog, the security deposit is EUR 1300.
- Wood for fireplace: please check prices on the premises.
- Telephone: metered.
- Extra set of towels: EUR 12 per set.
- Extra set of bed linens: EUR 22 per set.
- Extra set of table cloth and napkins: EUR 15 per set.
- Extra bedroom with twin beds (7th bedroom) only available if rented at the price category of 12 people: EUR 100 per night. Should you need an extra bedroom during your stay (occasional guest for instance), this can be prepared upon request.
- Extra bed: EUR 20 per night. On request, a folding bed could be added in one of the bedrooms.
- Baby kit: EUR 35 per week.
- Baby beds: EUR 20 per week per bed.
- Pets upon request only: There is an extra charge of 50 Euro per week + 300 extra deposit (to be paid together with the above mentioned security deposit).
Bed, bath and kitchen linens, water, electricity, gas, Internet WIFI connection, maid service (2.5 hours house cleaning from 10.00 am to 12.30 pm on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday if you stay for more than a week), final cleaning, pool cleaning service all included in the price. Should you have rented Villa Giola for more than 1 week, the house will be cleaned on Saturdays and the linen will be changed.
Please note: the Google Maps are only approximative, the exact address will be given after finalized booking.
Our Guests Reviews
Once again Hidden Italy has delivered above and beyond my expectations. Villa Giola is just as perfect for my family. As promised, I will be writing very positive reviews once I'm back in the States.
D. Terry, July 2017