10 km south-east of Capalbio Scalo in the Maremma, on the beach.
A unique venue in Italy: a fairly isolated house with direct access to the beach.
|Prices||€ 1550 - 2850 per weekPrices, Availability & Booking|
Cottage in the dunes
Costa Piccola is a unique venue in Italy. Rarely will you find a fairly isolated house with direct access to the beach, surrounded by romantic farmland, varied wildlife and unique Mediterranean flora; all of this in the sought-after region of the Maremma on the southern Tuscan coast.
On the map you will find us roughly half-way between Rome and Grosseto, surrounded by the cultural landmarks of Tarquinia, Tuscania, Orbetello and Viterbo, which all are more or less half an hour‘s drive away. The nearest village, Pescia Romana, is 4 km away. Here you will find all you need, baker and butcher as well as a supermarket and, of course, a bar for your daily cappuccinos and a newsagent who also sells foreign newspapers.
The house has been restored at a top level of style and comfort. As this stretch of land is protected for its rare natural beauty, strict laws regulate any building activity. Only the restoration of existing features is allowed. The house is surrounded by an irrigated garden which blends into the surrounding „dunescape“, planted with the local shrubs such as myrtle and juniper.
In early summer you will come upon the very special and highly protected sand lilies (no picking allowed!), behind the house a bamboo roof on wooden pillars, 40 steps from the house, makes for private parking of your car in the shade. A fence closes off the entire estate from the beach. Access to the beach is granted by a gate (135 m from the house). The beach is public, as are all beaches in Italy, but as the public access is further down, only the occasional bather will wander up to this part of the beach. A beach club with friendly bar is 100 meters further down the beach.
A larger 5-bedroom house (Costa Grande / also featured in our portfolio) lies at a distance of 100 meters. The two houses are separated by a small hill which has been densely planted.
About the Maremma
The Maremma is a lesser known and therefore all the more captivating part of Tuscany extending south towards Latium. It is a region which conjures up memories of foregone times, a world of large estates, generations of old families, harvests, summers and the sea. One is almost tempted to believe that this untamed landscape owes its mystique to the lingering presence of the Etruscans, an ancient civilisation remembered for their peace-loving and hedonistic way of life who lived and farmed here centuries before Christ.
Over the past fifteen years the area has become a favourite spot for a certain Italian intellectual elite seeking the charm of the Tuscan way of life enriched by the joys of an unspoilt seaside.
Activities and places of interest
The beach: the beach of the estate is a real asset, and it is close to the house. The beach is of fine sand with a multitude of coloured shells. The sea, most of the time, is calm and safe for children and families to swim in. Behind the beach, the dunes are covered with a labyrinth of wild aromatic bushes such as myrtle and cistus-roses which blossom at different times of the year. Two cafés down the beach have coffé, ice-cream and also serves light meals.
Lake Burano: the estate borders on the Lake Burano, a lagoon run by the WWF. The bird-watching here is excellent, above all in spring and autumn.
The WWF Maremma National Park: the Park encompasses seven towers, the remains of an abbey and twenty six grottoes. In summer the National Park can only be visited accompanied by a guide. Visits by night from 8 to 11 pm are a special thrill. At 30 minutes from the estate.
The Etruscans: a trip through what was known as Etruria is one of the most interesting archaeological excursions in Italy. Tarquinia and Tuscania, only 25 kms away from the estate, boast worldwide famous archeological excavations which should not be missed.
Monte Argentario: only half an hour from the estate lies the Monte Argentario, a peninsula connected with the mainland by three dams. The Monte Argentario is known for its fine coastline, rich mediterranean vegetation and the two jet set harbours Porto Ercole and Porto Santo Stefano. For lovers of adventure at Monte Argentario, where renting a boat, you may experience one of the most charming seas in Italy. Recently a kite surfing school has opened on the beach.
The Tarot-Garden of Niki de Saint-Phalle: on one of the hills not far from the estate the famous French artist hs built her „Jardin des Tarots“, twenty two giant sculptures inspired by the figures of the magic tarot cards. Children love it!
Main feature of the Maremma is… the thermal wind, from April to September the wind blows 4 to 5 days a week with an intensity ranging from 12 to 25 knots. The beaches of Castiglione, Talamone and Capalbio provide suitable spots for any kind of wind condition, where you can practice FreeStyle, Waveriding and long downwind.
The tennis club in Pescia Romana, the village, has several courts which can be booked by the hour.
There are two golf courses in the region. The Golf Club Maremmello, 20 min away, has 9 holes, Par 70. The famous Punta Ala Club is 1 hour by car, it has 18 holes, Par 72.
The islands and hiring a boat: in Porto Santo Stefano, 30 minutes drive from the estate, you can hire boat which will take you to te islands of Giglio and Giannutri off the Tuscan coast. Giglio has a charming main village and castle, and many creeks hidden between the cliffs. Giannutri, its bare coastline dominated by the ruins of a Roman villa overlooking the sea, recalls some of the Greek islands, which deep-sea divers can look for sunken Roman galeons on the sea bed.
Costa Piccola 4
1 living and dining room
1 double bedroom
1 twin bedroom
Terrace (along the living and dining room)
A fence closes off the entire estate (from the beach). A garden gate gives you access to the endless beach (135 m from the house). The beach is public, as all beaches in Italy, but as the public access is far away, only the occasional bather will wander up to your location.
Weekly rates in €
|Costa Piccola||18 Feb 2017 - 18 Mar 2017
08 Apr 2017 - 06 May 2017
30 Sep 2017 - 04 Nov 2017
|18 Mar 2017 - 08 Apr 2017
09 Sep 2017 - 30 Sep 2017
|06 May 2017 - 08 Jul 2017
26 Aug 2017 - 09 Sep 2017
|08 Jul 2017 - 26 Aug 2017
4 PAX 4
|1550 EUR €||1930 EUR €||2300 EUR €||2850 EUR €||Calendar||Request BookingCosta Piccola|
Please complete the following form so that we can provide fast service in checking availability.
All fields marked with * are required.
- Click the green Submit button below to send your inquiry.
- If the villa/apartment is available, you can make your reservation after having received our response.
- Please also read How To Make A Reservation.
Reservations from Saturday to Saturday only.
Availability only during the above mentioned dates.
Baby bed with linen for children up to their 4th birthday and high chair available: free of charge.
Extra services available only on request (domestic help, Tuscan meal on your first evening, cook, first shopping, beach parasol), to be specified when booking and to be paid in euros on the premises at the end of each working day:
- Domestic help (house cleaning, washing and ironing): This service can be booked for a minimum of 2 hours per day. The costs are EUR 24 for 2 hours. Each additional hour is charged at EUR 12.
- Typical Tuscan meal on your first evening, after a long trip: EUR 24 per adult, EUR 18 per child (up to 12 years). The dinner consists of an antipasto made of ham, salami, olive and tomatoes, a first course of traditional lasagne, green salad and local cheese, fruit. Included in the price is 1 bottle of wine and water plus bread.
- Cook for dinners during your stay (Monday - Friday): a dinner can be prepared by a cook who comes to your house: lays the table, cooks the meal and cleans the kitchen, will be payed at the rate of EUR 13 per hour. Food is not included and will be charged separately depending on the menu. This service is not available on arrival day and on Sunday.
- First shopping: EUR 55. The following items are included: bread, butter, jam, eggs, milk, 1 packet tea, 1 packet coffee, natural yoghurt, orange juice, fruit of the season, 1 kg pasta (noodles), tomato sauce, 1 piece fresh parmesan cheese, salad and tomatoes, extra vergin olive oil, 2 litres of mineral water, 2 bottles of beer, 1 bottle of red wine.
- If you would like to book one or two parasols (each parasol has 2 sunbeds) at the beachclub, please let us know at the time of booking. The fee is to be paid directly to the beach club.
Security deposit, air conditioning, heating, wood for fireplace to be paid in euros on the premises:
- Security deposit: EUR 250.
- Air conditioning: EUR 6 per day.
- Heating (if required): the cost of central heating is calculated with EUR 10 per day when the heating is turned on for approx. 6-8 hours per day. Please be aware that central heating is rather expensive in Italy.
- Wood for fireplace: please check price on the premises.
- Pets perhaps allowed on special request upon booking: EUR 50 domestic pet supplement.
Bed, bath and kitchen linens, water, electricity, gas, Internet WIFI connection in the living room area, final cleaning all included in the price. Should you have rented your house for more than 1 week, the house will be cleaned on Saturdays and the linen will be changed.
Please note: the Google Maps are only approximative, the exact address will be given after finalized booking.
Our Guests Reviews
Uns hat es derart gut gefallen, dass wir am Liebsten für immer dort blieben, ;-)) so aber doch ein zweites Mal, eben im Herbst, nochmals hinfahren möchten.
Mit herzlichen Grüssen und bestem Dank für alles, insbesondere Ihre freundliche Art und die kompetente Organisation
V. & L. Gurini, Juni 2016