Cottage in the dunes
Costa Piccola is a unique venue in Italy. Rarely will you find a fairly isolated house with direct access to the beach, surrounded by romantic farmland, varied wildlife and unique Mediterranean flora; all of this in the sought-after region of the Maremma on the southern Tuscan coast.
The house has been restored at a top level of style and comfort. As this stretch of land is protected for its rare natural beauty, strict laws regulate any building activity. Only the restoration of existing features is allowed. The house is surrounded by an irrigated garden which blends into the surrounding „dunescape“, planted with the local shrubs such as myrtle and juniper.
In early summer you will come upon the very special and highly protected sand lilies (no picking allowed!), behind the house a bamboo roof on wooden pillars, 40 steps from the house, makes for private parking of your car in the shade. A fence closes off the entire estate from the beach. Access to the beach is granted by a gate (135 m from the house). The beach is public, as are all beaches in Italy, but as the public access is further down, only the occasional bather will wander up to this part of the beach. A beach club with friendly bar is 100 meters further down the beach.
A larger 5-bedroom house (Costa Grande / also featured in our portfolio) lies at a distance of 100 meters. The two houses are separated by a small hill which has been densely planted.
The estate lies roughly half-way between Rome and Grosseto, surrounded by the cultural landmarks of Tarquinia, Tuscania, Orbetello and Viterbo, which all are more or less half an hour‘s drive away. The nearest village, Pescia Romana, is 4 km away. Here you will find all you need, baker and butcher as well as a supermarket and, of course, a bar for your daily cappuccinos and a newsagent who also sells foreign newspapers.
The Maremma is a lesser known and therefore all the more captivating part of Tuscany extending south towards Latium. It is a region which conjures up memories of foregone times, a world of large estates, generations of old families, harvests, summers and the sea.
One is almost tempted to believe that this untamed landscape owes its mystique to the lingering presence of the Etruscans, an ancient civilisation remembered for their peace-loving and hedonistic way of life who lived and farmed here centuries before Christ.
Over the past fifteen years the area has become a favourite spot for a certain Italian intellectual elite seeking the charm of the Tuscan way of life enriched by the joys of an unspoilt seaside.
Our Guests Reviews
Dear Mrs Röhrig,
We had a wonderful experience in such a beautiful and unique location.
We thank you for your help and also for the help of Emanuela and the owner of the place, especially for the organisation of the ceremony with Father Serio in the little church di San Nicola. We didnot expect such a warm welcome and we felt really like a young wedding couple !
The whole family enjoyed greatly these holidays. Elisabetta, the cook, was fantastic and contributed largely to the success of the adventure.
Thank you again !
M. and T. Millett, June 2018
Uns hat es derart gut gefallen, dass wir am Liebsten für immer dort blieben, ;-)) so aber doch ein zweites Mal, eben im Herbst, nochmals hinfahren möchten.
Mit herzlichen Grüssen und bestem Dank für alles, insbesondere Ihre freundliche Art und die kompetente Organisation
V. & L. Gurini, Juni 2016
HoLIDAY HOME AMENITIES
- Air conditioning
- Internet WIFI connection in the living room area
- Satellite TV
- DVD player
- Washing machine
- Fridge with freezer
- Stove with oven
- Coffee machine
- Electric kettle
- Iron and ironing board
- Hair dryer
- Access to the sea
- Parking next to the house
Pescia Romana, the village 4 km
Capalbio 12 km
Montalto di Castro, the train station 15 km
Tarquinia 35 km
Porto Ercole 35 km
Tuscania 40 km
WWF National Maremma Park 40 km
Islands of Giglio and Giannutri
Grosseto 65 km
Viterbo 65 km
Rome 125 km
Siena 140 km
Pisa 225 km
The beach: From a holidayer‘s point of view the private beach of the estate is a real asset, and it is close to the house. The beach is of fine sand with a multitude of coloured shells. Behind the beach, the dunes are covered with a labyrinth of wild aromatic bushes such as myrtle and cistus-roses which blossom at different times of the year. Two cafés down the beach have coffé, ice-cream and also serves light meals.
Lake Burano: The estate borders on the Lake Burano, a lagoon run by the WWF. The bird-watching here is excellent, above all in spring and autumn.
The WWF Maremma National Park: The Parco dell’Uccellina, officially the Parco Nazionale Maremmano, is a rewarding place for nature lovers. Marked footpaths will lead you through incredibly beautiful pine woods to hidden creeks, past romantic ruins of fortified watch towers to the abbey of San Rabano, built by monks who arrived from Rhodes in the X century.
Vulci is another natural park of the WWF. The castle called “Castello dell’Abbadia” has become the National Archeological Museum of Vulci with a beautiful collection of ceramics, sculptures and bronzes. We recommend a walk over the Roman bridge of l’Abbadia. From here, on foot or by car, you may reach the remains of the Etruscan and Roman town of Vulci called “La Civita”. The area has become an archeological park and offers a choice of many walks.
The Etruscans: A trip through what was known as Etruria is one of the most interesting archaeological excursions in Italy. Tarquinia and Tuscania, only 25 kms away from the estate, boast worldwide famous archeological excavations which should not be missed.
Tarquinia is world famous for its Etruscan tombs and frescoes. The necropolis of Tarquinia is on the outskirts of town and easy to find. In town the beautiful 15th century Palazzo Vitelleschi is now the Archeological Museum.
Tuscania: Dating back to the Etruscan period, it became an important fortification in the middle-ages. The two romanic churches of Santa Maria Maggiore are remarkable. A walk through the center of the town is rewarding.
Monte Argentario: Only half an hour from the estate lies the Monte Argentario, a peninsula connected with the mainland by three dams. The Monte Argentario is known for its fine coastline, rich mediterranean vegetation and the two jet set harbours Porto Ercole and Porto Santo Stefano. For lovers of adventure at Monte Argentario, where renting a boat, you may experience one of the most charming seas in Italy. Recently a kite surfing school has opened on the beach.
The Tarot Garden of Niki de Saint-Phalle: On one of the hills not far from the estate the famous French artist hs built her „Jardin des Tarots“, twenty two giant sculptures inspired by the figures of the magic tarot cards. Children love it!
Villa Lante, Bagnaia-Viterbo: one of Italy’s most stunning Renaissance gardens. At 80 kms, just over an hours drive. Can be combined with a visit too.
Palazzo Farnese in Caprarola, one of Italy’s most stunning Renaissance buildings. The Scala Regia is an elaborate stone spiral staircase that let Cardinal Alessandro Farnese (later Pope Paul III) reach the bedrooms on horseback. The Palazzo contains masterpieces by some of the most important painters and architects of the period.
Sovana, Sorano and Pitigliano are three towns at 1 h drive. Sovana boasts a magnificent Etruscan necropolis and 2 remarkable Romanic churches. Pitigliano is a medieval town high up on a crest, with a Jewish community dating back to the 16th c. It is also known for the white wine Bianco di Pitigliano. The Medieval town of Sorano spreads at the foot of the 14th century Orsini Castle.
Sports: Main feature of the Maremma is… the thermal wind, from April to September the wind blows 4 to 5 days a week with an intensity ranging from 12 to 25 knots. The beaches of Castiglione, Talamone and Capalbio provide suitable spots for any kind of wind condition, where you can practice freestyle, waveriding and long downwind. The tennis club in Pescia Romana, the village, has several courts which can be booked by the hour. There are two golf courses in the region. The Golf Club Maremmello, 20 min away, has 9 holes, Par 70. The famous Punta Ala Club is 1 hour by car, it has 18 holes, Par 72.
The islands and hiring a boat: in Porto Santo Stefano, 30 minutes drive from the estate, you can hire boat which will take you to te islands of Giglio and Giannutri off the Tuscan coast. Giglio has a charming main village and castle, and many creeks hidden between the cliffs. Giannutri, its bare coastline dominated by the ruins of a Roman villa overlooking the sea, recalls some of the Greek islands, which deep-sea divers can look for sunken Roman galeons on the sea bed.
Please note: the Google Maps are only approximative, the exact address will be given after finalized booking.
Choose your holiday home
1 living and dining room
1 double bedroom
1 twin bedroom
Terrace (along the living and dining room)
A fence closes off the entire estate (from the beach). A garden gate gives you access to the endless beach (135 m from the house). The beach is public, as all beaches in Italy, but as the public access is far away, only the occasional bather will wander up to your location.
1550 EUR €
26 Sep 2020 - 07 Nov 2020
1930 EUR €
29 Aug 2020 - 26 Sep 2020
2290 EUR €
2850 EUR €
Weekly rates in €
|Costa Piccola||15 Feb 2020 - 04 Apr 2020
||04 Apr 2020 - 30 May 2020
26 Sep 2020 - 07 Nov 2020
|30 May 2020 - 27 Jun 2020
29 Aug 2020 - 26 Sep 2020
|27 Jun 2020 - 29 Aug 2020
4 PAX 4
|1550 EUR €||1930 EUR €||2290 EUR €||2850 EUR €||N/A||Request BookingCosta Piccola|
Please complete the following form so that we can provide fast service in checking availability.
All fields marked with * are required.
- Click the green Submit button below to send your inquiry.
- If the villa/apartment is available, you can make your reservation after having received our response.
- Please also read How To Make A Reservation.
- Bed, bath and kitchen linens
- Internet WIFI connection in the living room area
- Baby bed with linen for children up to their 4th birthday and high chair available free of charge
- Final cleaning
- Should you have rented your house for more than 1 week, the house will be cleaned on Saturdays and the linen will be changed.
- Air conditioning: EUR 6 per day
- Heating (if required): the cost of central heating is calculated with EUR 10 per day when the heating is turned on for approx. 6-8 hours per day. Please be aware that central heating is rather expensive in Italy.
- Wood for fireplace: please check price on the premises.
- Pet perhaps allowed on special request upon booking: EUR 50 domestic pet supplement
EUR 250 cash deposit are due on arrival.
SERVICE ON REQUEST (please enquire with us when booking)
- Domestic help (house cleaning, washing and ironing): This service can be booked for a minimum of 2 hours per day. The costs are EUR 24 for 2 hours. Each additional hour is charged at EUR 12.
- Typical Tuscan meal on your first evening, after a long trip: EUR 24 per adult, EUR 18 per child (up to 12 years). The dinner consists of an antipasto made of ham, salami, olive and tomatoes, a first course of traditional lasagne, green salad and local cheese, fruit. Included in the price is 1 bottle of wine and water plus bread.
- Cook for dinners during your stay (Monday - Friday): a dinner can be prepared by a cook who comes to your house: lays the table, cooks the meal and cleans the kitchen, will be payed at the rate of EUR 13 per hour. Food is not included and will be charged separately depending on the menu. This service is not available on arrival day and on Sunday.
- First shopping: EUR 55. The following items are included: bread, butter, jam, eggs, milk, 1 packet tea, 1 packet coffee, natural yoghurt, orange juice, fruit of the season, 1 kg pasta (noodles), tomato sauce, 1 piece fresh parmesan cheese, salad and tomatoes, extra vergin olive oil, 2 litres of mineral water, 2 bottles of beer, 1 bottle of red wine.
- If you would like to book one or two parasols (each parasol has 2 sunbeds) at the beachclub, please let us know at the time of booking. The fee is to be paid directly to the beach club.
- Reservations from Saturday to Saturday
- Availability only during the above mentioned dates
Privacy and style on the Maremma sandy beach
- Sleeps 10 Guests
- Bedrooms 5 Bedrooms
- Bathrooms 4 Bathrooms
- Floor area sq m 246 m2 m2