|Location||Near Lucignano in the Sinalunga region, between Siena and Arezzo.|
A converted mill.
|Prices||€ 3890 - 5590 per weekPrices, Availability & Booking|
A converted mill
"I had a farm in Tuscany ..." The famous line "Out of Africa" could just as well apply to this estate between Arezzo and Siena, only one hour south of Florence.
At 400 metres above sea level, the organic farm farm produces olive oil and raises the wiede-horned white local cattle, although only part of its five hundred hectares is devoted to agriculture. The rest is covered with Mediterranean bush and woodland where the cattle can roam free and seek the shade during the summer months.
The estate was acquired by the actual owner in the 1960's. They already had a large organic farm in Northern Italy and a busy life in Milan and the feeling here is that they sought to create a bucolic ideal of a simple lifestyle in harmony with nature and the local farmers. Scattered all over the farmland are fifteen farmhouses, one more lovely than the other, overlooking a magnificent Tuscan lanscape of rolling hills dotted with umbrella pines and cypress trees punctuating the horizon. The first farmhouse to be restored for guests is Mulino.
Mulino in Italian means mill and this house used to be the mill of the estate. It still retains some of the original features including the two long stonewalls which used to channel the water from nearby stream towards the mill. Today these two walls form a natural enclosure for the pool.
Mulino is a building that has evolved over time, bit by bit. It began as a tower and then grew with the needs of each new generation, acquiring additions and extensions as the years went by. The result is a fairytale house with plenty of nooks and crannies, doors and passageways and steps leading “upstairs and downstairs and in my lady’s chamber”. The garden has many inviting corners for reading, writing or dozing in the shade, all fully equipped with outdoor furniture.
The nearest village is the medieval hilltop town Lucignano (5 km). Here you will find grocery stores, cafés, newsstands, banks and simple restaurants. In the house you will find a detailed list of restaurants we recommend in the surroundings. But you will not want to miss the surrounding villages such as Monte San Savino, Foiano, Sinalunga and Castiglion Fiorentino as well as the medieval hamlet of Gargonza, all of which will conform in their picturesque perfection to everyone's dream of a hilltop Tuscan village. Arezzo is the next largish town. You will not want to miss the frescoes by Piero della Francesca in the Basilica San Francesco. If you are at the Mulino on the first week-end of the month, you might also want to visit the antique market on the main square. Florence et Siena, Tuscanys most important cultural milestones, are easy to reach from Mulino. A walk through the estate is an enriching experience which brings you closer to the surroundings. Just follow one of the paths that lead uphill from Mulino. You will come past the main house of the estate, many yet to be restored farms, a small lake, wild animals and the famous longhorned Tuscan cows. The views stretch accross the estate towards the Orcia valley and the silhouette of the castle of Radicofani in the far back. Fashion addicts can splurge out at the famous Prada factory outlet, which lies on to road to Florence. The nearest train station is Arezzo, on the main line from Florence to Rome. The trip to Florence takes a little over one hour. For Rome calculate no less than 2 hours.
Sports & Wellness
There are tennis courts in the next village Lucignagno (5 km), mountain bikes can be hired there too. Thanks to the natural hot water springs in nearby Rapolano Terme (18 km) you can choose from two spas to treat yourself to mud baths, massages, facials and many other tempting treatments. More information: http://www.termeaq.it/ and http://www.termesangiovanni.it/
On the ground floor is a large living and dining room with a fireplace and French windows leading onto a terrace covered in vines for al fresco meals. The well-equipped kitchen has a traditional wooden table for informal breakfasts, and an adjacent larder. Also on the ground floor, but with a seperate entrance, is a single room with shower, and the laundry. The first floor has 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. A further double room and single room with bath is reached over an outdoor passage.
1 large living and dining room
1 single bedroom with shower, accessible from the garden
1 double bedroom with en suite bathroom with bathtub
1 twin bedroom with en suite bathroom with shower
1 double bedroom and 1 single bedroom which share a bathroom with shower located in a separate first floor wing
1 twin bedroom with en suite bathroom with bathtub
Pool 5 x 15 metres, with teak sun beds and deck chairs and vine covered pergola for outdoor meals. Outdoor shower, irrigated lawns, automatic entrance gate, the gardener comes daily.
Weekly rates in €
|Mulino||01 Jan 2017 - 08 Apr 2017
04 Nov 2017 - 31 Dec 2017
|08 Apr 2017 - 06 May 2017
30 Sep 2017 - 04 Nov 2017
|06 May 2017 - 01 Jul 2017
26 Aug 2017 - 30 Sep 2017
|01 Jul 2017 - 26 Aug 2017
10 PAX 10
|3890 EUR €||4290 EUR €||4690 EUR €||5590 EUR €||Calendar||Request BookingMulino|
Please complete the following form so that we can provide fast service in checking availability.
All fields marked with * are required.
- Click the green Submit button below to send your inquiry.
- If the villa/apartment is available, you can make your reservation after having received our response.
- Please also read How To Make A Reservation.
Special price for groups up to 7 people:
EUR 3400 low season
EUR 3850 1st mid season
EUR 4050 2nd mid season
EUR 4250 high season
If rented for this reduced price two bedrooms (one double and one single) and one bathroom will be closed. For 7 people will be available four bedrooms (two doubles, one twin, one single) and four bathrooms.
Reservations from Saturday to Saturday only.
Pool size: 15 x 5 m / opening dates: mid of May - end of September. On request the pool can be gated. Pool towels are provided.
Baby bed with linen and high chair available. Baby bed can be booked for children up to their 4th birthday.
Extra services available only on request (domestic help, Tuscan meal on your first evening, cook for dinners during your stay, first shopping), to be specified when booking and to be paid in euros on the premises at the end of each working day:
- Extra domestic help (house cleaning, washing and ironing): EUR 10 per hour.
- Typical Tuscan meal on your first evening, after a long trip (Saturday): EUR 25 per adult and EUR 20 per children. The dinner consists of an antipasto, a pasta dish, cheese, salad, fruit and local biscuits or cake to finish, plus bread and 1 bottle of wine.
- Lunch during the week: EUR 35 per person, EUR 25 for children up to 11 years of age. The lunch is composed of: antipasto, 1 first course (for example a pasta dish), 1 second course (meat with vegetables and salad), dessert (fruit and cakes). Wine not included. The cook will lay the table on the terrace or in the dining room, serve the meal and clean up afterwards. Meals should be booked 1 day in advance.
- Dinner during the week: EUR 35 per person, EUR 25 for children up to 11 years of age. The dinner is composed of: antipasto, 1 first course (for ex. a pasta dish), 1 second course (meat with vegetables and salad), dessert (fruit and cakes). Wine not included. The cook will lay the table on the terrace or in the dining room, serve the meal and clean up afterwards. Dinners should be booked 1 day in advance.
- Cooking lessons: The estate can organise also some cooking lessons. They can be organised under request at a price of EUR 35 per person (25 for children) without wine.
- Picnic on the estate: EUR 35 per person (wine included), EUR 25 for children up to 11 years of age. Children under 4 no cost. The estate can organise a deliscious picnic for you within the estate. The guests who have done this have been extremely enthusiastic. This service is not available in August.
- First shopping: EUR 150 (expenses for a few basics and shopping time included). The shopping list includes: bread, butter, jam, eggs, 2 litres of milk, 1 packet Earl Grey tea, 1 packet coffee, natural yoghurt, 2 bottles of orange juice, 2 kg fruit of the season, 2 kg pasta (noodles), 2 jars tomato sauce, 1 large piece fresh parmesan cheese, salad and tomatoes, extra vergin olive oil, 4 litres of mineral water, 3 bottles of beer, dishwasher detergent.
- Babysitter: Approximately EUR 12-15 per hour, plus petrol expenses. The cost varies according to the time of the day and the person available. The service will be paid directly to the babysitter.
Security deposit, heating, telephone to be paid in euros on the premises:
- Security deposit: EUR 300.
Heating (if required): metered.
Please be aware that central heating is very expensive in Italy. The average cost per day in winter varies from EUR 30 to 80 according to the outdoor temperature and the amount of time the heating is turned on.
- Telephone: metered.
- Baby bed: EUR 50 per week.
- Extra set of towels: please check price on the premises.
- Pets eventually allowed only upon special request when booking: EUR 50 per week.
Bed, bath and kitchen linens, water, electricity, gas, wood for fireplace, Internet DSL connection, maid service (from Monday to Friday: 3 hours house cleaning if you have rented the house for 10 people, 2 hours house cleaning if you have rented the house for 7 people), final cleaning, garden and pool maintenance all included in the price. Should you have rented Mulino for more than 1 week, the house will be cleaned on Saturdays and the linen will be changed.
Please note: the Google Maps are only approximative, the exact address will be given after finalized booking.
Our Guests Reviews
Sehr geehrte Frau Röhrig,
gerne würden wir jetzt schon "Il Mulino" für nächstes Jahr buchen. Sollte das Haus schon nicht mehr verfügbar sein, so bieten Sie mir bitte etwas ähnliches an. Es ist herrlich hier! Mit freundlichem Gruß aus Il Mulino in der sonnigen Toskana,
P. zu Solms, Juli 2009