A converted mill
"I had a farm in ..." The famous line "Out of Africa" could just as well apply to this estate between Arezzo and Siena, only one hour south of Florence.
Mulino in Italian means mill and this house used to be the mill of the estate. It still retains some of the original features including the two long stonewalls which used to channel the water from nearby stream towards the mill. Today these two walls form a natural enclosure for the pool.
Mulino is a building that has evolved over time, bit by bit. It began as a tower and then grew with the needs of each new generation, acquiring additions and extensions as the years went by. The result is a fairytale house with plenty of nooks and crannies, doors and passageways and steps leading “upstairs and downstairs and in my lady’s chamber”.
On the ground floor is a large living and dining room with a fireplace and French windows leading onto a terrace covered in vines for al fresco meals. The well-equipped kitchen has a traditional wooden table for informal breakfasts, and an adjacent larder. Also on the ground floor, but with a seperate entrance, is a single room with shower, and the laundry. The first floor has 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. A further double room and single room with bath is reached over an outdoor passage.
The garden (6000 m2) has many inviting corners for reading, writing or dozing in the shade, all fully equipped with outdoor furniture.
At 400 metres above sea level, the organic farm farm produces olive oil and raises the wiede-horned white local cattle, although only part of its five hundred hectares is devoted to agriculture. The rest is covered with Mediterranean bush and woodland where the cattle can roam free and seek the shade during the summer months.
The estate was acquired by the actual owner in the 1960's. They already had a large organic farm in Northern Italy and a busy life in Milan and the feeling here is that they sought to create a bucolic ideal of a simple lifestyle in harmony with nature and the local farmers. Scattered all over the farmland are fifteen farmhouses, one more lovely than the other, overlooking a magnificent Tuscan lanscape of rolling hills dotted with umbrella pines and cypress trees punctuating the horizon. The first farmhouse to be restored for guests is Mulino or the Mill.
Our Guests Reviews
Last summer I rented three properties from Hidden Italy. La Casina in Sicily. Mulino in Sinalungo. And Villa Giola near Pisa. We loved every second of our trip. The powerful, sensorial overflow of feeling still lingers. My wife and I set out to create a trip for our three teenaged children that would sink into their skin and open up their whole being to the beauty of Italy. Having the pleasure of staying in exquisitely located and uniquely beautiful homes that are loved, personal and cared for made all the difference. I deeply hope to return again to Italy with my family, and I guarantee you that we will stay with Hidden Italy.
D. Terry, April 2018
Sehr geehrte Frau Röhrig,
gerne würden wir jetzt schon "Il Mulino" für nächstes Jahr buchen. Sollte das Haus schon nicht mehr verfügbar sein, so bieten Sie mir bitte etwas ähnliches an. Es ist herrlich hier! Mit freundlichem Gruß aus Il Mulino in der sonnigen Toskana,
P. zu Solms, Juli 2009
HOLIDAY HOME AMENITIES
- Pool: 5 x 15m
- Pool can be gated on request
- Air conditioning in all bedrooms except the ground floor single
- Fans in all bedrooms
- Screens on all bedroom windows
- Internet WIFI connection via DSL
- Marshall MP3 player
- Satellite TV
- DVD player
- Washing machine
- Large fridge and large freezer
- Stove with oven
- Nespresso coffee machine
- Filter coffee machine
- Aeroccino (milk frother)
- Food processor
- Iron and ironing board
- 2 hair dryers
- Barbecue grill
- Vine covered pergola for outdoor meals
- Ping pong table
- 4 bicycles for adults and 1 bicycle for a child
Lucignano shopping facilities 5 min
Monte San Savino 12 min
Sinalunga 12 min
Arezzo (railway station) 20 min
Rapolano Terme 25 min
Chianti area 30 min
Pienza 30 min
Montepulciano 30 min
Cortona 30 min
Florence 1 hour
Siena 1 hour
Orvieto 1 hour
Perugia 1 hour
Pisa 2.5 hours
The nearest village is the medieval hilltop town Lucignano (5 km). Here you will find grocery stores, cafés, newsstands, banks and simple trattorias. In the house you will find a detailed list of restaurants we recommend in the surroundings. There are tennis courts in Lucignagno, mountain bikes can be hired there too.
But you will not want to miss the surrounding villages such as Monte San Savino, Foiano, Sinalunga and Castiglion Fiorentino as well as the medieval hamlet of Gargonza, all of which will conform in their picturesque perfection to everyone's dream of a hilltop Tuscan village.
Arezzo is the next largish town. You will not want to miss the frescoes by Piero della Francesca in the Basilica San Francesco. If you are at the Mulino on the first week-end of the month, you might also want to visit the antique market on the main square.
Florence and Siena, Tuscanys most important cultural milestones, are easy to reach from Mulino. The nearest train station is Arezzo, on the main line from Florence to Rome. The trip to Florence takes a little over one hour. For Rome calculate no less than 2 hours.
A walk through the estate is an enriching experience which brings you closer to the surroundings. Just follow one of the paths that lead uphill from Mulino. You will come past the main house of the estate, many yet to be restored farms, a small lake, wild animals and the famous longhorned Tuscan cows. The views stretch accross the estate towards the Orcia valley and the silhouette of the castle of Radicofani in the far back.
Outlet: Fashion addicts can splurge out at the famous Prada factory outlet, which lies on to road to Florence.
Wellness: Two excellent SPAs can be found in the surroundings: in Rapolano Terme (18 km from the house).
Please note: the Google Maps are only approximative, the exact address will be given after finalized booking.
Choose your holiday home
1 large living and dining room
1 single bedroom with shower, accessible from the garden
1 double bedroom with en suite bathroom with bathtub
1 twin bedroom with en suite bathroom with shower
1 double bedroom and 1 single bedroom which share a bathroom with shower located in a separate first floor wing
1 twin bedroom with en suite bathroom with bathtub
Pool 5 x 15 metres, with teak sun beds and deck chairs and vine covered pergola for outdoor meals. Outdoor shower, irrigated lawns, automatic entrance gate, the gardener comes daily.
02 Nov 2019 - 31 Dec 2019
3890 EUR €
28 Sep 2019 - 02 Nov 2019
4600 EUR €
31 Aug 2019 - 28 Sep 2019
5050 EUR €
6050 EUR €
Weekly rates in €
|Mulino||01 Jan 2019 - 04 May 2019
02 Nov 2019 - 31 Dec 2019
|04 May 2019 - 25 May 2019
28 Sep 2019 - 02 Nov 2019
|25 May 2019 - 29 Jun 2019
31 Aug 2019 - 28 Sep 2019
|29 Jun 2019 - 31 Aug 2019
10 PAX 10
|3890 EUR €||4600 EUR €||5050 EUR €||6050 EUR €||N/A||Request BookingMulino|
Please complete the following form so that we can provide fast service in checking availability.
All fields marked with * are required.
- Click the green Submit button below to send your inquiry.
- If the villa/apartment is available, you can make your reservation after having received our response.
- Please also read How To Make A Reservation.
Special price for groups up to 7 people. If rented for this reduced price two bedrooms (one double and one single) and one bathroom will be closed. For 7 people will be available four bedrooms (two doubles, one twin, one single) and four bathrooms:
EUR 3400 low season
EUR 4000 1st mid season
EUR 4380 2nd mid season
EUR 4650 high season
- Bed, bath and kitchen linens
- Pool towels
- Internet DSL connection
- Air conditioning
- Wood for fireplace
- Maid service (from Monday to Friday: 3 hours house cleaning if you have rented the house for 10 people, 2 hours house cleaning if you have rented the house for 7 people).
- Final cleaning
- Pool cleaning
- Garden maintenance
- Should you have rented Mulino for more than 1 week, the house will be cleaned on Saturdays and the linen will be changed.
- Heating (if required): metered
- Baby bed with linen and high chair available. Baby bed: EUR 50 per week. Baby bed can be booked for children up to their 4th birthday.
- Pets eventually allowed only upon special request when booking: EUR 50 per week
EUR 300 cash deposit are due on arrival.
SERVICE ON REQUEST (please enquire with us when booking)
- Extra domestic help (house cleaning, washing and ironing): EUR 10 per hour
- Typical Tuscan meal on your first evening, after a long trip (Saturday): EUR 25 per person. The dinner consists of an antipasto, a cold pasta dish, cheese, fruit and local biscuits or cake to finish, plus bread and 1 bottle of wine.
- Meals during the week: EUR 35/40 per person, EUR 25 for children up to 11 years of age. The meal is composed of: antipasto, 1 first course (for example a pasta dish), 1 second course (meat with vegetables and salad), dessert (fruit and cakes). Wine not included. Meals should be booked at least 48 h in advance.
Should you wish to have a person lay the table, serve the meal and clean the meal away afterwards, there is an extra fee of EUR 50 at lunchtime and EUR 60 in the evening. * The rate depends on the type of meat and the number of people. When 4 or less guests, the price is always EUR 40 per person. IMPORTANT: In August the cook is available for the preparation of lunch and/or dinner 2 - 3 times a week. Should you wish to have daily cooking service, this will have to be organized and prices are subjet to change. Please discuss this with Hidden Italy at the time of booking.
- Cooking lessons: The cook of the estate is available to give cooking lessons (except during the month of August). The rates are:
EUR 200 for a single person
EUR 150 per person for 2 or 3 guests
EUR 75 per person for 4 or more guests
- Picnic on the estate: EUR 35/40* per person (wine included), EUR 25 for children up to 11 years of age. Children under 4 no cost. This service is not available in August. The estate can organise a delicious pic-nic for you on the shores of a lake within the estate. The guests who have done this have been extremely enthusiastic. You will be met by the staff at the lake, where cushions will have been laid out. The staff will bring a lunch with antipasto, first course (for ex. a pasta dish), omelette or cheese, dessert (fruit and cake), coffee and herbal tea. Wine not included. *The price depends on the number of people. Up to 4 guests the price is always EUR 40.
- First shopping: EUR 150 (expenses for a few basics and shopping time included). The shopping list includes: bread, butter, jam, eggs, 2 litres of milk, 1 packet Earl Grey tea, 1 packet coffee, natural yoghurt, 2 bottles of orange juice, 2 kg fruit of the season, 2 kg pasta (noodles), 2 jars tomato sauce, 1 large piece fresh parmesan cheese, salad and tomatoes, extra vergin olive oil, 4 litres of mineral water, 3 bottles of beer, dishwasher detergent.
- Babysitter: During the day approximately EUR 10-15 per hour, plus cost of gas/petrol. The cost varies according to the person available. In the evening the cost is between EUR 15 and 20 per hour, plus cost of gas/petrol. The service will be paid directly to the babysitter.
- Extra set of towels: please check price on the premises.
- Reservations from Saturday to Saturday
- Pool opening dates: mid of May - end of September
Price reduction if rented for groups up to 7!As from
Comfortable villa with great pool on wine estate near Montepulciano and Pienza
- Sleeps 9+1 Guests
- Bedrooms 5 Bedrooms
- Bathrooms 5+1 WC Bathrooms
- Floor area sq m 400 m2 m2
Discount on the weekly price for pax 10: high season 860 Euro, mid season 780 Euro, low season 620 EuroAs from
Farmhouse in walking distance to a village, perfect for two families traveling together
- Sleeps 10 Guests
- Bedrooms 5 Bedrooms
- Bathrooms 6+1 WC Bathrooms
- Floor area sq m 320 m2 m2