A fairy tale castle in the country of St. Francis
Tucked away into the hills of Arezzo lies the magic Castello dei Bastioni, a large and welcoming family estate with castle, gatehouse, farmbuildings and all, surrounded by seemingly endless fields and hills covered olive groves and woods.
The castle has a basic square shape with a raised central section and four round towers on the corners. Elegant arched loggias with stone columns, added during its Renaissance period conversion, run along two sides.
The glazed loggia with frescoed vaulted ceilings leads onto a small chapel. It is the perfect place for spending a lazy afternoon. The light filters through the sheer curtains. The main dining room has French windows onto the terrace and the garden with yet another table and chairs for outdoor meals. The twin bedroom with frescoed ceilings is probably the most beautiful bedroom in the castle. But all bedrooms have a special feature, be it painted beams or antique furniture, and all of them are decorated with a cotton weave made by the local firm Bussatti, which has shops all over the world.
The garden melts into the surrounding landscape, inviting to long walks. The pool lies a little above the house. It also can be reached by car, which is convenient for elderly guests. Upon request the housekeeper will gladly bring up lunch to be served by the pool.
The extraordinary spacious house measures approx. 1500 square metres and accommodates with 9 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms comfortably a group of 16 people. Three extra guests might be accepted on request upon booking.
The estate lies on a crossroad of Tuscany (Arezzo, Siena, Florence, Cortona), Umbria (Città di Castello, Perugia, Gubbio, Assisi) and the Marches (Urbino), an area where Piero della Francesca, Michelangelo, Leonardo Da Vinci, Raffael and San Francesco of Assisi were born. The famous Tuscan and Umbrian landmarks can be visited comfortably over a day.
Our Guests Reviews
What a great time we had there… wow!
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Jessica and Roberto, July 2023
Hallo Frau Röhrig,
wir waren jetzt im Castello. Es hat alles perfekt funktioniert. Bitte teilen Sie mir mit, ob solche Möglichkeiten auch in Frankreich gegeben sind.
G. Rainer, Mai 2011
HOLIDAY HOME AMENITIES
- Pool: 5 x 15m
- Air conditioning via 10 Dyson air coolers
- Internet WIFI fiber connection
- Smart TV that can connect to your Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. accounts
- Bluetooth loudspeaker
- Washing machine
- 4 ring gas hob
- Large fridge and large freezer
- Capsule coffee machine
- Iron and ironing board
- Several hair dryers
- Electric fans
- Barbecue grill
Anghiari 10 min
Sansepolcro 15 min
Città di Castello 30 min
Arezzo 35 min
Cortona 1 hour
Perugia 1 hour
Gubbio 1 hour
Assisi 1 hour 15 min
Florence 1.5 hours
Montepulciano 1.5 km
Orvieto 1.5 km
Siena 2 hours
Pisa 2 hours
Rome 2 hours
The nearest town is Anghiari at 4 km from the castle, a charming medieval city which has not changed much over the last centuries. The powerful thirteenth century walls made the town an invincible fortress (picture of Anghiari in the picture galery left). A stroll through the narrow streets which open onto delightful squares is Italy at its best. Anghiari has all shopping facilities.
Arezzo, with a wonderful antique market on the Piazza Grande the first week-end of the month
Many of Piero della Francesca's works can be seen in the nearby town of Sansepolcro (15 minute drive) and you should not miss the village of Monterchi, where his famous pregnant Madonna can be seen in the village school.
Franciscan trails: The hermitage of La Verna, where St. Francis received the stigmata is a magical place. By car it is reached in 30 minutes. A beautiful trek of 30 kms makes a wonderful day of walking.
Romanesque Churches: The territory around Anghiari boasts a number of very early parish churches. They were built during the early phases of christianisation in which baptism was a crucial element. The pievi remained for centuries the only places authorised to carry out baptisms.
The Castello dei Sorci, a rustic castle turned into restaurant serving very authentic food - as for instance home made pasta. It is well know throughout Tuscany.
Shopping: The famous factory outlet of Prada lies on the way to Florence. Anghiari is also the headquarter of one of Tuscany`s most interesting textile producers http://www.busatti.com, whith shops all over the world.
Sports: Woods are wonderful and one can walk or ride either a horse or a mountain bike along the clearly marked footpaths which are indicated on easily available maps. There is a riding club nearby. The tennis club in Anghiari has a very nice teacher who also speaks English.
Please note: the Google Maps are only approximative, the exact address will be given after finalized booking.
Choose your holiday home
Castello dei Bastioni
- Breakfast room
- 5 bedrooms
- 3 bathrooms
- Guest WC
- Living room
- Dining room
- Loggia with frescoes
- Loggia with billiard and ping pong
- 4 bedrooms
- 3 bathrooms
- Terrace for al fresco dining
- Pool with WC and outdoor shower
- Lunch can be served at the pool by the housekeeper.
31 Aug 2023 - 30 Sep 2023
9850 EUR €
11470 EUR €
Weekly rates in €
|Castello dei Bastioni||01 Jun 2023 - 01 Jul 2023
31 Aug 2023 - 30 Sep 2023
|01 Jul 2023 - 31 Aug 2023
Castello dei Bastioni
16+3 PAX 16
|9850 EUR €||11470 EUR €||N/A||Request BookingCastello dei Bastioni|
Please complete the following form so that we can provide fast service in checking availability.
All fields marked with * are required.
- Click the green Submit button below to send your inquiry.
- If the villa/apartment is available, you can make your reservation after having received our response.
- Please also read How To Make A Reservation.
- Bed, bath and kitchen linens
- Maid service (4 hours house cleaning from Monday to Friday from 9am to 1pm)
- Breakfast service from Monday to Saturday: The housekeeper will prepare breakfast when she arrives in the morning. Ingredients and beverages are not included. Upon request she can purchase the ingredients, this has to be paid extra. The breakfast service is not offered on Sundays.
- 2 baby beds, a high chair, a pram and a baby bath available. Baby bed can be booked for children up to their 4th birthday: free of charge.
- Final cleaning
- Pool cleaning
- Should you have rented your house for more than 1 week, the house will be cleaned on Saturdays and the linen will be changed.
- Three additional guests if maximum capacity PAX 16 is exceeded, to be requested upon booking: EUR 80 per night per person
- Wood for fireplace: EUR 10 per basket
- Pets allowed upon request
Guests are asked to make a security deposit of EUR 500 (credit card pre-authorisation held by the agency). At the end of the stay the credit card pre-autorisation will be cancelled, unless it has to be used partly or fully for any damage.
SERVICE ON REQUEST (please enquire with us when booking)
- Extra domestic help (house cleaning, washing and ironing): EUR 15 per hour
- Extra set of towels: EUR 5
- Dinner: with first course (pasta dish), second course (meat with vegetables and salad) and a dessert. The cost is EUR 40 per person for a min of 12 guests. Dinners should be booked 3 days in advance.
- First shopping: We can arrange for a first shopping to be found at the castle. We will provide a master list where you can make your choice shopping list. Please let us have this list 1 week prior to arrival at the latest. Upon arrival you will be presented with the bill. There is a EUR 40 service charge.
- Reservations from Saturday to Saturday preferred
- Minimum stay of 5 nights accepted: price for 5 or 6 nights upon request.
- Availability only during the above mentioned dates
- PLEASE NOTE: For this property the check-in is possible between 5 and 7pm.
- No central heating available
- Pool opening dates: beginning June - end of September
Spacious 16th-century villa in a village - Class listed/landmarked building
- Sleeps 14 Guests
- Bedrooms 8 Bedrooms
- Bathrooms 7 Bathrooms
- Floor area sq m 500 m2 m2