A fairy tale castle in the country of St. Francis
Tucked away into the hills of Arezzo lies the magic Castello dei Bastioni, a large and welcoming family estate with castle, gatehouse, farmbuildings and all, surrounded by seemingly endless fields and hills covered olive groves and woods.
The castle has a basic square shape with a raised central section and four round towers on the corners. Elegant arched loggias with stone columns, added during its Renaissance period conversion, run along two sides.
The glazed loggia with frescoed vaulted ceilings leads onto a small chapel. It is the perfect place for spending a lazy afternoon. The light filters through the sheer curtains. The main dining room has French windows onto the terrace and the garden with yet another table and chairs for outdoor meals. The twin bedroom with frescoed ceilings is probably the most beautiful bedroom in the castle. But all bedrooms have a special feature, be it painted beams or antique furniture, and all of them are decorated with a cotton weave made by the local firm Bussatti, which has shops all over the world.
The garden melts into the surrounding landscape, inviting to long walks. The pool lies a little above the house. It also can be reached by car, which is convenient for elderly guests. Upon request the housekeeper will gladly bring up lunch to be served by the pool.
The extraordinary spacious house measures approx. 1500 square metres and accommodates with 9 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms comfortably a group of 19 people. A price reduction will be applied for groups up to 14 people.
The estate lies on a crossroad of Tuscany (Arezzo, Siena, Florence, Cortona), Umbria (Città di Castello, Perugia, Gubbio, Assisi) and the Marches (Urbino), an area where Piero della Francesca, Michelangelo, Leonardo Da Vinci, Raffael and San Francesco of Assisi were born. The famous Tuscan and Umbrian landmarks can be visited comfortably over a day.
Our Guests Reviews
Hallo Frau Röhrig,
wir waren jetzt im Castello. Es hat alles perfekt funktioniert. Bitte teilen Sie mir mit, ob solche Möglichkeiten auch in Frankreich gegeben sind.
G. Rainer, Mai 2011
HOLIDAY HOME AMENITIES
- Pool: 5 x 15m
- Internet WIFI connection
- Telephone, fax
- Satellite TV
- Washing machine
- 4 ring gas hob
- Large fridge and large freezer
- Iron and ironing board
- Hair dryer
- 1 electric fan
- 1 Pinguino (mobile air conditioner)
- Barbecue grill
Anghiari 10 min
Sansepolcro 15 min
Città di Castello 30 min
Arezzo 35 min
Cortona 1 hour
Perugia 1 hour
Gubbio 1 hour
Assisi 1 hour 15 min
Florence 1.5 hours
Montepulciano 1.5 km
Orvieto 1.5 km
Siena 2 hours
Pisa 2 hours
Rome 2 hours
Breakfast service from Monday to Saturday: The housekeeper will prepare breakfast when she arrives in the morning. Ingredients and beverages are not included. Upon request she can purchase the ingredients, this has to be paid extra. The breakfast service is not offered on Sundays.
- The nearest town is Anghiari at 4 km from the castle, a charming medieval city which has not changed much over the last centuries. The powerful thirteenth century walls made the town an invincible fortress (picture of Anghiari in the picture galery left). A stroll through the narrow streets which open onto delightful squares is Italy at its best. Anghiari has all shopping facilities.
- Arezzo, with a wonderful antique market on the Piazza Grande the first week-end of the month
- Many of Piero della Francesca`s works can be seen in the nearby town of Sansepolcro (15 minute drive) and you should not miss the village of Monterchi, where his famous pregnant Madonna can be seen in the village school.
- Franciscan trails: The hermitage of La Verna, where St. Francis received the stigmata is a magical place. By car it is reached in 30 minutes. A beautiful trek of 30 kms makes a wonderful day of walking.
- Romanesque Churches: The territory around Anghiari boasts a number of very early parish churches. They were built during the early phases of christianisation in which baptism was a crucial element. The pievi remained for centuries the only places authorised to carry out baptisms.
- The Castello dei Sorci, a rustic castle turned into restaurant serving very authentic food - as for instance home made pasta. It is well know throughout Tuscany.
- Shopping: The famous factory outlet of Prada lies on the way to Florence.
- Shopping: Anghiari is also the headquarter of one of Tuscany`s most interesting textile producers http://www.busatti.com, whith shops all over the world.
- Woods are wonderful and one can walk or ride either a horse or a mountain bike along the clearly marked footpaths which are indicated on easily available maps.
- There is a riding club nearby.
- The tennis club in Anghiari has a very nice teacher who also speaks English.
Please note: the Google Maps are only approximative, the exact address will be given after finalized booking.
Choose your holiday home
Castello dei Bastioni
Loggia with frescoes
Loggia with billiard and ping pong
Terrace for al fresco dining
Pool 15 x 5 m with WC and outdoor shower
Lunch can be served at the pool by the housekeeper.
29 Aug 2020 - 03 Oct 2020
8350 EUR €
9950 EUR €
Weekly rates in €
|Castello dei Bastioni||30 May 2020 - 27 Jun 2020
29 Aug 2020 - 03 Oct 2020
|27 Jun 2020 - 29 Aug 2020
Castello dei Bastioni
19 PAX 19
|8350 EUR €||9950 EUR €||N/A||Request BookingCastello dei Bastioni|
Please complete the following form so that we can provide fast service in checking availability.
All fields marked with * are required.
- Click the green Submit button below to send your inquiry.
- If the villa/apartment is available, you can make your reservation after having received our response.
- Please also read How To Make A Reservation.
Special price for groups up to 14 people. If rented for this reduced price two bedrooms will be closed:
EUR 6500 low season
EUR 7550 high season
- Bed, bath and kitchen linens
- Maid service (4 hours house cleaning from Monday to Friday from 9 am to 1 pm)
- Breakfast service from Monday to Saturday (groceries not included)
- 2 baby beds, a high chair, a pram and a baby bath available. Baby bed can be booked for children up to their 4th birthday: free of charge.
- Final cleaning
- Pool cleaning
- Should you have rented your house for more than 1 week, the house will be cleaned on Saturdays and the linen will be changed.
- Wood for fireplace: EUR 10 per basket
- Telephone: metered
- Pets allowed upon request
EUR 500 cash deposit are due on arrival.
SERVICE ON REQUEST (please enquire with us when booking)
- Extra domestic help (house cleaning, washing and ironing): EUR 15 per hour
- Extra set of towels: EUR 5
- Typical Tuscan meal on your first evening, after a long trip: EUR 25 per person. The first dinner consists of an antipasto, a pasta dish, salad and pecorino cheese, fruit and local biscuits to finish plus bread, 1 bottle of mineral water and 1 bottle of wine for up to 4 people.
- Cook for lunch and/or dinner during your stay: prepared by the cook of the estate (who lays the table and serve the meal) with first course (pasta dish), second course (meat with vegetables and salad) and a dessert. The cook is paid EUR 15 per hour, plus the cost of the ingredients and time for shopping. For lunch and dinners for more than 14 people, the cook will ask for an extra help that will be paid EUR 12 per hour. Dinners should be booked 3 days in advance. This service is not available on arrival day and on Sunday and not available on August 15th (Ferragosto).
- First shopping: EUR 150 (expenses for a few basics and shopping time included). The shopping list includes: bread, butter, jam, eggs, 2 litres of milk, 1 packet Earl Grey tea, 1 packet coffee, natural yoghurt, 2 bottles of orange juice, 2 kg fruits of the season, 2 kg pasta (noodles), 2 jars tomato sauce, 1 piece fresh parmesan cheese, salad and tomatoes, extra vergin olive oil, 4 litres mineral water, 3 bottles of beer, dishwasher detergent.
- Reservations from Saturday to Saturday
- Availability only during the above mentioned dates
- No central heating available
- Pool opening dates: mid May - end of September
Spacious 16th-century villa in a village - Class listed/landmarked building
- Sleeps 16 Guests
- Bedrooms 8 Bedrooms
- Bathrooms 7 Bathrooms
- Floor area sq m 500 m2 m2