Heaven on earth ...
Torre Positano is a unique seaside residence enjoying a splendid location at the edge of Positano, one of the most picturesque beach resorts on the Amalfi Coast. The Torre is doubtless one of the most prestigious homes on the whole Amalfi coast; this due to its unique position, architecture and truly fascinating history. A master piece framed by the charming village of Positano on one side and a real breathtaking view east to west onto the open sea on the other.
This unusual property can be reached only by boat (5 minutes) or on a footpath from the beach (15 minutes); it is not possible to reach the house by car. There is a public parking lot 15 minutes from the Torre, and taxi-boat service is available 14/7 from the main beach of Positano.
There are three principal terraces and furthermore a private descent leads to public beach partially used by others. This spacious accommodation is an excellent choice for a large group of people who want to enjoy both secluded and shared spaces. One of the most particular residences on the Amalfi coast, it truly represents the definition of class: elegance without ostentation.
Torre Positano sits on a rocky outcrop jutting into the turquoise sea and is accessible only by boat or on a footpath from one of Positano's main beaches. From the terrace one can look seaward toward the isles of Capri and I Galli, or turn to Positano. Positano offers no shortage of cafés, shops and restaurants for whiling away an afternoon or evening. Visitors are also sure to enjoy a scenic drive along the coastal road, the SS145, stopping at Praiano and Amalfi and the renowned hilltop town of Ravello with its incomparable view from the famous garden of Villa Rufolo. Excursions in the other direction might include a boat trip to the island of Capri, a visit to Naples, or an exploration of Pompeii and Herculaneum, the fascinating ruins of ancient cities destroyed by the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in the 1st century AD.
HISTORY OF THE HOUSE
Its history dates back to the early 13th century, when the Normans, built over this stunning promontory a guardian tower, to protect the coast from the attack of the Saracens army. It had been largely destroyed when the renowned artist, futurist architect and writer Gilbert Clavel, restored the old Norman tower at the beginning of the last century in 1927 and made it his home. The artistic sensibility of Gilbert Clavel, overwhelmed by the beauty of the site and its surroundings, encouraged him to begin the renewal, under the guidance of his artistic taste, which took form into a unique architectural structure and a specially designed interior. He custom-designed and built the wooden furniture, with the help of his personal artisan Enrico Lietz. Gilbert Clavel entertained many famous guests in his house, such as Cocteau, Depero and Pablo Picasso, who met his future wife Olga Kaklowa here.
The result is an awe-inspiring, four-level pentagonal residence, with a subterranean level built right into the rock. The interiors are characterised by a fascinating variety of shapes and furnished with a delightful simplicity. The structure in fact spreads over a number of levels and separated areas all connected by different pathways, passages, corridors and hallways in a perfect balance with the natural environment which hosts the house. This allows a large group of people to enjoy both secluded and shared spaces, leaving to its guests the choice to use their own private spaces (kitchen, lounge room etc.) or gather to embrace together that typically Dolce Vita lifestyle perfect incarnated by this sensational property.
The complete symbiosis between the architectural structure and its environment, where each one enhance the other, is not only expressed in the layout of this unique property, but as well in the choice of materials, colors and light where every detail is essential to this harmony. This results in interior and exterior being just a matter of definition! The appealing decor and unique layout, with its many corridors, stairs and terraces, is most suitable for those looking for an authentic Italian holiday without pretense or affectation. The picture is completed by an exceptional staff whose love and dedication to this property will make them an essential part to your holiday.
Torre Positano is made up of three different parts: La Torre, Le Sirene, Porticato. In such a way three groups can each reap the benefits of three different living areas - each with its own kitchen, living room and bedrooms. There are a total of 3 living rooms, 3 kitchens, 7 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms & more rooms.
Arrival must be by 6 pm. An English speaking person will meet our guests on the arrival day and help them to settle in. Linens changed once a week on Saturday.
Staff includes a resident concierge, a housekeeper and maid service (5 hrs/day, 6 days/week). The apartment of the housekeeper is located on a lower level, on the same property, and has an independent entrance.
You arrive at the Torre only by boat directly from the main beach, or on foot, crossing the stone beach at Fornillo and taking the staircase to the private entrance gate and path. Taxi-boat service available 24/7 from main beach, please inquire. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO REACH THE HOUSE BY CAR. Parking at public car park in Positano only, approx. 15 minutes from house.
There are numerous staircases, corridors and walkways linking the various rooms, making this hazardous for anyone unsteady on their feet. Because of the staircases, terraces, corridors, protrusions and slopes, this house is unsuitable for very active children. Children have to be under adults supervision. Please note that the public beach located right below the Torre is not under the owner's supervision/maintenance. The beach is located near a wall of rocks and very rarely, small stones could fall on the beach. Please note that owner and agent are not responsible for the children or elderly people, and not responsible if guests use the public beach located right below the Torre, or for anything that could happen to them while at the beach.
Two cribs available for children up to 3 years old.
Transfers and excursions available.
All the bathrooms, except the two half bathrooms, are provided with hairdryer.
Fans available for all bedrooms.
Air conditioning in the following rooms:
La Torre: in the 2 bedrooms and in the living room.
Le Sirene: in the 2 bedrooms and in the living room.
Porticato: in the 2 bedrooms.
Air conditioning is included in the price.
Different kind of boats are available for hire with or without skipper. Capri can be reached by boat within 30 minutes. Get on board!
Our Guests Reviews
London, United Kingdom
Breathtaking location and most unique place we've ever stayed
Left on Aug 22, 2017 for a stay in Aug 2017
Cliffside over looking the clear blue waters and view of Positano the location is perfect. Everything was amazing from the historical unique structure itself, to the decks, semi-private beach with rooms full of water toys. Swim/snorkel around the tower and you're in you own personal grotto. We will definitely visit again.
We had a great time and the villa and staff were fantastic so we will definitely be back! We will leave a review when we get back home.
Greg, July 2017
Hi Ute & Bettina,
Thank you so much, we had a wonderful holiday. We truly enjoyed it and all the staff were great. Thanks so much, LOVE
L. Ord, July 2009
HOLIDAY HOME AMENITIES
- Air conditioning available in:
Torre: in the 2 bedrooms and in the living room
Sirene: in the 2 bedrooms and in the living room
Porticato: in the 2 bedrooms
- Internet WIFI connection
- Satellite TV/VCR
- Telephone, fax
- Washing machine and dryer
- Stove with oven
- Fridge with freezer
- Barbecue grill
- Fans for all bedrooms
- Hair dryer in each bathroom
- Shaded terrace with simple weight-training equipment
- 200 m2 terraces, loggia, corridors
- Sea views
- Private access to public beach (the only access to it are from the sea or from the property).
The villa comes with full time resident concierge, housekeeper and daily maid service 6 days per week.
Positano: 15 minutes on foot, 5 minutes by boat
Sorrento: 30 minutes by car, 20 minutes by boat
Amalfi/Ravello: 45 minutes - 1 hour by car, 40 minutes by boat
Little beach: From the Torre you can walk down to a little beach nestled in a bay which is surprisingly quiet and peaceful.
Spiaggia Grande: In the center of Positano, this is, as the name suggests, the biggest beach in town. It's the most glamorous too: home to numerous bars, restaurants and beach clubs.
Secret beaches: Positano's rocky coastline is home to dozens of hidden beaches, which can only be reached from the sea. If you want to explore them, we'll arrange a boat for you.
The best way to explore Italy's spectacular Amalfi Coast is by “gozzo", the traditional boat used by the local fishermen.
Capri: 20 minutes by boat from Sorrento.
Amalfi: Its churches, towers and arcaded houses, grouped together with attractive irregularity, rise above a small harbour, and are backed by precipices of wild magnificence. One of the four Maritime Republics it treasures many historical buildings and an impressive Duomo dedicated to St Andrews of the 19th century. Do not miss the Arsenal of the Republic, the Municipio where the Tavole Amalfitane (first written maritime laws) are displayed and the Valle dei Mulini with its water-operated paper mills and tall rocky sides.
Pompeii: A trip to Italy is not complete without visiting the impactful archeological ruins of Pompei, declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The port town of Cetara: This characteristic little village is known for its charming little port and its great fishing reputation, mostly bluefish and tuna.
The Path of the Gods: takes hiking and outdoor lovers from Agerola to Positano, accompanied by breathtaking views of the Amalfi Coast.
Please note: the Google Maps are only approximative, the exact address will be given after finalized booking.
Choose your holiday home
Torre Positano is made up of three different parts: La Torre, Le Sirene, Porticato. In such a way three groups can each reap the benefits of three different living areas - each with its own kitchen, living room and bedrooms.
Double bedroom: 2
Double or twin bedrooms: 3
Single bedrooms: 2
All the bedrooms have AC except the single room located in the part of the house called La Torre.
LA TORRE 3 bedrooms – sleeps 5 pax
- Lower level: Modern kitchen (4 burner gas stove, oven, fridge, separate freezer, dishwasher).
- First level: The Blue Bedroom. Cozy double bedroom (beds can be separated) with charming window overlooking towards the sea. Beautiful en suite bath (tub with hand-held shower) with a lovely window overlooking Positano.
- Second level: Spacious living room, with views towards Positano, ocean and seacoast, with fireplace with antique glass tiles; there are also a small fridge for keeping cold drinks, TV, CD/tape player. On this level there is a charming single bedroom with en suite bathroom with shower. This bedroom has the access to a little balcony overlooking the sea and the islands of I Galli; no air conditioning.
- Third level: The Yellow Bedroom. Stairs lead up to a spacious double bedroom (queen size) finished in lemon yellow and turquoise blue tones with en suite bathroom with double sink and bathtub (with hand-held shower). Internal staircase leads on the top of the Torre, a roof terrace with a 360° view over the sea and the coast.
A balcony circles the Tower on three sides, and includes a south-facing open terrace, with a painted tile floor by the famous ceramicist, Ernestine.
LE SIRENE 2 bedrooms - sleeps 4 pax
- First level: The Sirene Bedroom. Bright and spacious double bedroom (beds can be separated) with all west-facing windows. Bookcases and desk designed by Clavel. A small corridor leads to en suite bathroom with bathtub and separate shower.
- Second level: The Diamond Bedroom. In this part of the house there is also a double bedroom (beds cannot be separated) called Diamante so named for the diamond shape of the ceiling, designed by Clavel when he laid the parquet floor. A charming and distinctive room with a window onto Positano. Unique open space small bathroom with shower and only drapes for privacy.
- Third level: Living - dining room with bamboo couches and chairs for five, round dining table for four. TV satellite, portable CD/tape player/tuner, DVD. Kitchen area (4 burner gas stove, microwave, fridge, separate freezer, small electric grill, double sink) with granite counter.
Le Sirene has also a fantastic, spacious, terrace with breathtaking views of the Isole dei Galli and the Amalfi Coast. Teak dining table with director chairs for eight, BBQ.
PORTICATO 2 bedrooms - sleeps 3+1 pax
- Lower level: One finds long, tiled dining terrace furnished with large wood table large enough to accommodate everyone for long lunch or al fresco dinner. The view, stupendous through an open stone arch framing Positano, is comfortable and delightful by day and night. On this level one finds also a sitting room, furnished with red and white cushions on wicker couches, accommodates six comfortably. CD/Tape player. Double doors and windows open to the dining terrace. A small corridor leads to the main fully equipped kitchen (5 burner gas stove, oven, large fridge, separate freezer, dishwasher, microwave), recently redone with ceramics of Vietri and a charming window facing Positano. This is also the kitchen where the chef - on request - prepares delicious meals! Spacious adjacent room, used by the staff for laundry, casual meals, etc. Arched glass doors lead to covered terrace, washing machine and dryer.
This floor also accommodates the custodian's apartment which has its own and independent access. Please ask the custodian if you have any questions during your stay.
- First level: The Green Bedroom. Lovely double bedroom (beds can be separated) screened, opening onto the principal terrace.
Breathtaking view of Positano. This bedroom shares, with a single bedroom, a beautiful full bathroom (tub with hand held shower) with bright yellow tiles, double sink and small window facing Positano. The single bedroom is also called the Library, recently restored, but respecting the typical style of the house, antique parquet floor and original desk designed by Clavel. Window and double doors open to the principal terrace. On request the single bed can be replaced with a French sized bed (for 2 young guests).
On this floor there is also a guest half bathroom. The second guest bathroom is located outside the house, near the stairs leading to the beach.
RESIDENT STAFF BEDROOM with bathroom: It is available only for staff members (for the concierge) - usually one person.
26800 EUR €
Weekly rates in €
|Torre Positano||16 May 2020 - 10 Oct 2020
12+1 PAX 13
|26800 EUR €||N/A||Request BookingTorre Positano|
Please complete the following form so that we can provide fast service in checking availability.
All fields marked with * are required.
- Click the green Submit button below to send your inquiry.
- If the villa/apartment is available, you can make your reservation after having received our response.
- Please also read How To Make A Reservation.
Special prices if renting the house for up to 8 people: EUR 18800 per week. If rented for the price for 8 only the TORRE AND PORTICATO bedrooms will be available.
For a smaller number of guests or a shorter stay please contact us to receive a quote.
- Bed, bath and kitchen linens changed on Saturday
- Beach towles
- Electricity, water, gas
- Air conditioning
- Internet WIFI connection included and available in the 75% of the property
- Final cleaning
- One baby bed for children up to 2 years
- Full time resident concierge/housekeeper: An English speaking person will meet our guests on the arrival day and help them to settle in. He will be available during the entire stay. Prior arrival he will be also available to arrange tours, excursions and other services such as advance or daily grocery shopping.
- Bedrooms maid service 5 hours per day (9am - 2pm): She works 6 days per week. Change of linens and towels once a week. Each extra hour costs EUR 25.
- Transfer service with luggage: from Positano to the property on the arrival day and back to Positano on the departure day (only one time on arrival day and only one time on departure day). Extra transfer can be arranged at extra cost. Any other transfer from/to Positano is not included and will be charged.
- Private access to public beach, which is accessable from Torre Positano or the sea only.
- Telephone, fax: metered
- Personal laundry: EUR 25 per hour; laundry service has to be agreed on site depending on the availability of the staff, preferably on Monday and Wedneday.
- Extra staff hours: EUR 25 per hour
- Advanced grocery shopping
- Breakfast, private chef, butler
- Food, beverages, wine and consumables
- Driver, skipper, boat and gas for the boat: please check price on the premises.
Security deposit: EUR 6000. This sum can be provided by wire transfer 3 weeks prior to arrival (separate bank transfer). The sum will be wired back within 2 weeks after the client's departure, unless it has to be used partly or fully for any damage or for extra services.
- Availability only during the above mentioned dates
- A copy of the passports will be requested in advance.
- Payment condition: In order to book the property, a down payment of 50% is required, not refundable.
- PLEASE NOTE: For this property the check-in is possible between 4 and 6pm.
- For more than 3 children, please enquire.
- Two baby beds are available for children up to 3 years.