Heaven on earth ...
Torre Positano is a unique seaside residence enjoying a splendid location at the edge of Positano, one of the most picturesque beach resorts on the Amalfi Coast. The Torre is doubtless one of the most prestigious homes on the whole Amalfi coast; this due to its unique position, architecture and truly fascinating history. A master piece framed by the charming village of Positano on one side and a real breathtaking view east to west on to the open sea on the other. This unusual property can be reached only by boat (5 minutes) or on a footpath from the beach (15 minutes); it is not possible to reach the house by car. There is a public parking lot 15 minutes from the Torre, and taxi-boat service is available 14/7 from the main beach of Positano. There are three principal terraces and furthermore a private descent leads to public beach partially used by others. This spacious accommodation is an excellent choice for a large group of people who want to enjoy both secluded and shared spaces. One of the most particular residences on the Amalfi coast, it truly represents the definition of class: elegance without ostentation.
Torre Positano sits on a rocky outcrop jutting into the turquoise sea and is accessible only by boat or on a footpath from one of Positano's main beaches. From the terrace one can look seaward toward the isles of Capri and I Galli, or turn to Positano. Positano offers no shortage of cafés, shops and restaurants for whiling away an afternoon or evening. Visitors are also sure to enjoy a scenic drive along the coastal road, the SS145, stopping at Praiano and Amalfi and the renowned hilltop town of Ravello with its incomparable view from the famous garden of Villa Rufolo. Excursions in the other direction might include a boat trip to the island of Capri, a visit to Naples, or an exploration of Pompeii and Herculaneum, the fascinating ruins of ancient cities destroyed by the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in the 1st century AD.
HISTORY OF THE HOUSE
Its history dates back to the early 13th century, when the Normans, built over this stunning promontory a guardian tower, to protect the coast from the attack of the Saracens army. It had been largely destroyed when the renowned artist, futurist architect and writer Gilbert Clavel, restored the old Norman tower at the beginning of the last century in 1927 and made it his home. The artistic sensibility of Gilbert Clavel, overwhelmed by the beauty of the site and its surroundings, encouraged him to begin the renewal, under the guidance of his artistic taste, which took form into a unique architectural structure and a specially designed interior. He custom-designed and built the wooden furniture, with the help of his personal artisan Enrico Lietz. Gilbert Clavel entertained many famous guests in his house, such as Cocteau, Depero and Pablo Picasso, who met his future wife Olga Kaklowa here.
The result is an awe-inspiring, four-level pentagonal residence, with a subterranean level built right into the rock. The interiors are characterised by a fascinating variety of shapes and furnished with a delightful simplicity. The structure in fact spreads over a number of levels and separated areas all connected by different pathways, passages, corridors and hallways in a perfect balance with the natural environment which hosts the house. This allows a large group of people to enjoy both secluded and shared spaces, leaving to its guests the choice to use their own private spaces (kitchen, lounge room etc.) or gather to embrace together that typically Dolce Vita lifestyle perfect incarnated by this sensational property.
The complete symbiosis between the architectural structure and its environment, where each one enhance the other, is not only expressed in the layout of this unique property, but as well in the choice of materials, colors and light where every detail is essential to this harmony. This results in interior and exterior being just a matter of definition! The appealing decor and unique layout, with its many corridors, stairs and terraces, is most suitable for those looking for an authentic Italian holiday without pretense or affectation. The picture is completed by an exceptional staff whose love and dedication to this property will make them an essential part to your holiday.
Torre Positano is made up of three different parts: La Torre, Le Sirene, Porticato. In such a way three groups can each reap the benefits of three different living areas - each with its own kitchen, living room and bedrooms. There are a total of 3 living rooms, 3 kitchens, 8 bedrooms, 7 bathrooms & more rooms.
Monday and Saturday arrivals preferred but other weekdays possible, please inquire. Arrival must be by 6 pm. Full staff includes caretaker, housekeeper (6 hrs/day, 7 days/week), fantastic cook and waiter/waitress for meals are available. Some English spoken by caretaker and cook. Linens changed twice weekly.
You arrive at the Torre only by boat directly from the main beach, or on foot, crossing the stone beach at Fornillo and taking the staircase to the private entrance gate and path. Taxi-boat service available 24/7 from main beach, please inquire. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO REACH THE HOUSE BY CAR. Parking at public car park in Positano only, approx. 15 minutes from house.
There are numerous staircases, corridors and walkways linking the various rooms, making this hazardous for anyone unsteady on their feet. Because of the staircases, terraces, corridors, protrusions and slopes, this house is unsuitable for very active children. Children have to be under adults supervision. Please note that the public beach located right below the Torre is not under the owner's supervision/maintenance. The beach is located near a wall of rocks and very rarely, small stones could fall on the beach. Please note that owner and agent are not responsible if guests use the public beach located right below the Torre, or for anything could happened to them while at the beach.
Linens changed twice weekly.
Two cribs available for children up to 3 yrs old.
Transfers and excursions available.
All the bathrooms, except the half one, are provided with hairdryer.
Fans available for all bedrooms.
Air conditioning in the following rooms:
La Torre: in the 2 bedrooms and in the living room.
Le Sirene: in the 2 bedrooms and in the living room.
Porticato: in the 3 bedrooms.
Air conditioning is included in the price.
The cook: 6 hours per day (from 10 am to 4 pm). The cook works 7/7 days except for rentals longer than a week when Saturday is her day off.
Different kind of boats are available for hire with or without skipper. Capri can be reached by boat within 30 minutes. Get on board!
Our Guests Reviews
London, United Kingdom
Breathtaking location and most unique place we've ever stayed
Left on Aug 22, 2017 for a stay in Aug 2017
Cliffside over looking the clear blue waters and view of Positano the location is perfect. Everything was amazing from the historical unique structure itself, to the decks, semi-private beach with rooms full of water toys. Swim/snorkel around the tower and you're in you own personal grotto. We will definitely visit again.
We had a great time and the villa and staff were fantastic so we will definitely be back! We will leave a review when we get back home.
Greg, July 2017
Hi Ute & Bettina,
Thank you so much, we had a wonderful holiday. We truly enjoyed it and all the staff were great. Thanks so much, LOVE
L. Ord, July 2009
HOLIDAY HOME AMENITIES
- Air conditioning
- Internet WIFI connection
- Satellite TV/VCR
- Telephone, fax
- Washing machine and dryer
- Stove with oven
- Fridge with freezer
- Barbecue grill
- Fans for all bedrooms
- Hair dryer in each bathroom
- Shaded terrace with simple weight-training equipment
- 200 m2 terraces, loggia, corridors
- Sea views
- Sea access
The villa comes with full staff: caretaker (speaks English), housekeeper, fantastic cook (speaks English), and server.
Positano: 15 minutes on foot, 5 minutes by boat
Sorrento: 30 minutes by car, 20 minutes by boat
Amalfi/Ravello: 45 minutes - 1 hour by car, 40 minutes by boat
Please note: the Google Maps are only approximative, the exact address will be given after finalized booking.
Choose your holiday home
Torre Positano is made up of three different parts: La Torre, Le Sirene, Porticato. In such a way three groups can each reap the benefits of three different living areas - each with its own kitchen, living room and bedrooms.
- Lower level: Modern kitchen (fridge, separate freezer, dishwasher/no gas stove for cooking, for cooking is used the Porticato kitchen).
- First level: The Blue Bedroom. Cozy double bedroom (beds can be separated) with charming window overlooking towards the sea. Beautiful en suite bath (tub with hand-held shower) with a lovely window overlooking Positano.
- Second level: Spacious living room, with views towards Positano, ocean and seacoast, with fireplace with antique glass tiles; there are also a small fridge for keeping cold drinks, TV, CD/tape player. On this level there is a charming single bedroom with en suite bathroom with shower. This bedroom has the access to a little balcony overlooking the sea and the islands of I Galli.
- Third level: The Yellow Bedroom. Stairs lead up to a spacious double bedroom (queen size) finished in lemon yellow and turquoise blue tones with en suite bathroom with double sink and bathtub (with hand-held shower). Internal staircase leads on the top of the Torre, a roof terrace with a 360° view over the sea and the coast.
A balcony circles the tower on three sides, and includes a south-facing open terrace, with a painted tile floor by the famous ceramicist, Ernestine.
- First level: The Sirene Bedroom. Bright and spacious double bedroom (beds can be separated) with all west-facing windows. Bookcases and desk designed by Clavel. A small corridor leads to en suite bathroom with bathtub and separate shower.
- Second level: The Diamond Bedroom. In this part of the house there is also a single bedroom nicknamed Diamante for the diamond shape of the ceiling, designed by Clavel when he laid the parquet floor. A charming and distinctive room with a window onto Positano. TV with satellite, fan. Unique open space small bathroom with shower and only drapes for privacy.
- Third level: Living - dining room with bamboo couches and chairs for five, round dining table for four. TV with VCR (PAL) and satellite. Portable CD/tape player/tuner. New corner kitchen (microwave, fridge, separate freezer, small electric grill, double sink/no gas stove for cooking, for cooking is used the Porticato kitchen) with granite counter.
Le Sirene has also a fantastic, spacious, terrace with breathtaking views of the Isole dei Galli and the Amalfi Coast. Teak dining table with director chairs for eight, BBQ.
- Lower level: One finds long, tiled dining terrace furnished with large wood table large enough to accommodate everyone for long lunch or al fresco dinner. The view, stupendous through an open stone arch framing Positano, is comfortable and delightful by day and night. On this level one finds also a sitting room, furnished with red and white cushions on wicker couches, accommodates six comfortably. CD/tape player. Double doors and windows open to the dining terrace. A small corridor leads to the main fully equipped kitchen (5-burner gas stove, oven, large fridge, separate freezer, dishwasher), recently redone with ceramics of Vietri and a charming window facing Positano. This is also the kitchen where Angela, the wonderful chef, prepares delicious meals! Spacious adjacent room, generally used by the staff for laundry, casual meals, etc. Arched glass doors lead to covered terrace and washing machine/dryer.
This floor also accommodates the custodian's apartment which has its own and independent access. Please ask the custodian if you have any questions during your stay.
- First level: The Green Bedroom. Lovely double bedroom (beds can be separated) screened, opening onto the principal terrace. Ceiling fan. Breathtaking view of Positano. This bedroom shares, with a single bedroom, a beautiful full bathroom (tub with hand held shower) with bright yellow tiles, double sink and small window facing Positano. The single bedroom is also called The Library, recently restored, but respecting the typical style of the house, antique parquet floor and original desk designed by Clavel. Window and double doors open to the principal terrace. On this floor there is also a new guest half bathroom. The New Bedroom, recently restored double bedroom (beds can be separated) and a bathroom with shower.
Weekly rates in €
|Torre Positano||01 Jun 2018 - 01 Oct 2018
13 PAX 13
|24900 EUR €||Calendar||Request BookingTorre Positano|
Please complete the following form so that we can provide fast service in checking availability.
All fields marked with * are required.
- Click the green Submit button below to send your inquiry.
- If the villa/apartment is available, you can make your reservation after having received our response.
- Please also read How To Make A Reservation.
Special prices if renting the house for more than one week: prices on request, please inquire.
Rental periods from Friday to Friday or Saturday to Saturday are preferred (other days possible, please inquire).
Availability only during the above mentioned dates.
For this property the check-in is possible between 4 and 6 pm.
For bookings long time in advance and for the next season usually only minimum two-week-rentals are accepted - only beginning March each year one-week-rentals can be accepted. But if you are interested in one week only, please contact us anyway - we are pleased to ask whether exceptions are possible.
For bookings with more than 3 children please inquire.
Two baby beds available for children up to 3 years.
Refundable security deposit to be paid in euros when booking:
- Security deposit: EUR 4000 for one week (plus EUR 1000 for each extra week) to be paid to the agency together with the balance payment 9 weeks prior to arrival.
From this amount EUR 2000 will be wired to the owner by HIDDEN ITALY. Eventual damages or extra expenses (such as telephone, food, beverages etc.) will be deducted from the security deposit. The difference will be returned to the customer by the owner in cash upon departure. The other EUR 2000 will be kept by HIDDEN ITALY and will be wired to the customer by the agency after departure.
Telephone, fax, personal laundry, extra staff hours, groceries, driver, skipper, boat, gas for the boat to be paid in euros on the premises:
- Telephone, fax: metered.
- Personal laundry: EUR 15 per hour.
- Extra staff hours: EUR 15 per hour.
- Food, beverages, wine and consumables.
- Driver, skipper, boat and gas for the boat: please check price on the premises.
Included in the price:
- Bed, bath and kitchen linens changed twice a week (Saturday and Wednesday).
- Beach towles.
- Air conditioning.
- Internet WIFI connection included and available in the 75% of the property.
- Final cleaning.
- One baby bed for children up to 2 years.
- Concierge: An English speaking local host will meet the guests on the arrival / departure day and help them to settle in. She will be available to be reached by phone during the stay. This service is included in the price. Prior arrival she will be also available to arrange tours, excursions and other services. This service is not included in the price.
- Welcome lunch or dinner on the arrival day: We need to know the arrival time at least 2 weeks prior arrival otherwise we cannot guarantee this service. Lunch or Dinner are served, food and beverages are included. We need to know in advance food allergies and any other special requirements. We suggest the clients to provide us with grocery shopping list at least 15 days prior arrival. This shopping service is included, but food is not included.
- Bedrooms maid service 6 hours per day (9 am - 3 pm): 7 days per week for one week rentals; 6 days per week (except Saturday) if the villa is rented for more than one week. Each extra hour costs EUR 20. The maid is also available for laundry service at an extra cost of EUR 20 per hour. Laundry service has to be agreed on site depending on the availability of the staff, preferably on Monday and Wednesday. We need to know in advance bedrooms configuration.
- Cook 6 hours per day (10 am - 4 pm): 7 days per week for one week rentals; 6 days per week (except Saturday) if the villa is rented for more than one week. In this time frame the cook will prepare lunch; the cook is also available to prepare a light dinner, but he will not serve dinner. (Each extra hour - for example preparation of a light dinner - if required: EUR 35 per hour).
- Custodian during day time available for general service.
- Transfer service with luggage: from Positano to the property on the arrival day and back to Positano on the departure day. Any other transfer from/to Positano is not included and will be charged.
- Private access to public beach, which is accessable from Torre Positano or the sea only.