A beautifully restored villa on an organic wine estate near Siena
Crowning a hilltop in the world-famous Chianti wine region and only three kilometers from stunning Siena, this former watch tower has been converted into a magnificent 17-bedroom organic wine estate. It was constructed in the 9th century along the Via Francigena, a pilgrimage route between France and Rome. A hamlet of farming buildings and a manor house gradually developed around the tower. The enchanting villa, nestled within graceful Tuscan gardens and surrounded by olive groves, vineyards and woodland, offers sweeping views of the picturesque countryside and the skyline of Siena.
The expansive villa is ideal for groups, as all its bedrooms are in a similar style and importance in addition to having private bathrooms. It also has a wonderful variety of indoor and outdoor gathering spaces among which are rooms designed for meetings and other functions which have played host to family reunions, weddings, choral groups, yoga retreats and professional seminars. Guests are welcomed with great warmth and gentilezza and the owner and staff will do all they can to make you feel comfortable. Lovely people, relaxed atmosphere, professionality.
You can spend leisurely days soaking up the sun next to the 17 x 6m pool, taking in the spectacular panoramas from the shaded garden nooks, strolling through the manicured garden or playing a game of tennis or bocce. The well groomed, formal gardens are perfect for strolling and enjoying the incredible vistas of the Chianti hills and the rooftops and church towers of Siena. An avenue of regal cypresses extends from the villa. You can wander further afield on the property, through the groves, vines and forest, thanks to a series with tracks and paths. Along your way you will encounter the lovely flora and fauna, including a variety of birdlife and other small animals. The larger ones like deer, wild boar and porcupine usually remain hidden out of sight.
Inside the villa, relax in one of the two comfortable sitting rooms or stroke the keys of the Steinway grand piano or pick up a cue in the billiards room. Three generations have lovingly restored the buildings and furnished them with Tuscan antiques and artwork. There is even some armor and other relics harking back to the building’s original raison d’être. The interiors stay cool in summer thanks to the traditional, thick stone walls and remain cozy in winter with the help of a large open fireplace. Your group can either have delicious regional cuisine prepared by the villa's catering staff in its modern and well-equipped kitchen or prepare meals on your own (the assistance of one staff member is required and is an additional cost). Meals can be savored in the elegant dining hall or at one of the various outdoor loggias which adds an element of fun to your meals and your overall experience at this exquisite Tuscan retreat.
Today the owner family lovingly maintains the estate which is comprised of 100 hectares of gardens, vineyards, olive groves, fields and woodland. They are committed to organic agriculture and endeavor to carry on deeply-rooted Tuscan traditions. Their passion shines through in their exquisite, organic Chianti Colli Senese Riserva and Rosato wines, grappa and extra-virgin olive oil. These are exported internationally and available to guests.
Tastings and tours of the cellars and underground passages can be arranged with the onsite oenologist. For an immersive experience, come during the vendemmia, the September grape harvest or in November during the olive-picking and the pressing.
About the region
This captivating estate is nestled in one of the most beguiling areas of Tuscany. It is situated only three kilometers from the spectacular city of Siena, a virtual open air museum that perfectly embodies Tuscan history, culture and architecture.
A short drive are the famous vineyards of the Chianti Classico region, gently rolling hills of the Valleys of Orcia and Chiana, the charming towns of San Gimignano, Pienza and Cortona, as well as a number of famous monasteries, grand gardens and other unique historic and natural sites.
Gastronomic discoveries are abundant and include the likes of colorful local farmers’ markets, cheese making farms and hundreds of vineyards producing world famous appellations of Chianti, Brunello di Montalcino and Vino Nobile di Montepulciano.
Activities in the region
- Wine tasting and tours of the cellars on the estate.
- Cooking classes for up to 20 people can be conducted in the villa’s fully equipped kitchen. Guests can sample their culinary creations in the formal dining room or in a more relaxed setting, outdoors under the century old evergreen oak trees.
- The estate is very popular with musical or choral groups as it offers several locations for larger groups to practise as well as soloists or master-classes in more intimate settings.
- The villa is ideal for other group gatherings as well: we have had yoga and watercolour groups, as well as large family reunions and weddings.
- The medieval town of Siena is only 3 km away from Villa di Siena and is a high point visit of Tuscany. Unlike Florence which is mainly a Renaissance city, Siena remained a well preserved Gothic city. The layout spirals from the main fan-shaped square called “Il Campo.” Twice a year the city holds its famous horse race, the ”Palio”. The narrow cobbled streets are lined with charming shops and small cafes, while churches and museums are real gems of the fourteenth century.
- The Siena Palio: the city’s most famous event, is a bareback horse race around the Piazza del Campo, in the centre of Siena. It is a bi-annual event held in early-July and mid-August. The Sienese get very involved in the event. There are also celebrations and events linked to it throughout the year and thus you may come across feasts in the streets, drumming and flag-throwing in any of the 17 Contrade (districts) which are a part of the competition. Some of the Palio horses train through the hills and olive groves of the estate.
- Florence: This emblematic Tuscan city is an excellent day trip option from the estate. Sitting on the Arno River, the city is known the world over for its rich history and its importance in the Middle Ages through the Renaissance. It was extremely influential in the evolution of art and architecture and was a centre of medieval European trade and finance. Visitors enjoy walking the streets of the city-center burgeoning with elegant palaces, historic churches and world-class museums.
- San Gimignano is popular town to visit in the province of Siena. It is a walled hill town famous for its medieval architecture, especially its towers, many of which can be seen from several kilometers outside away. The town also is known for its Vernaccia di San Gimignano white wine, which visitors can sample at wineries surrounding the town.
- The Pontignano Charterhouse, home to famous Italian gardens.
- The Chianti Sculpture Park filled with contemporary art.
- Brolio Castle, a splendid castle 20 km north of Siena which has belonged to the Ricasoli family for 800 years.
- Monteliscai, a picturesque medieval hamlet with a castle.
- Trecciolino’s Palio horse-training yard.
- Val d’Orcia, touring the beautiful countryside and visit to cheese makers and other culinary specialities.
- Wine tasting and winery visits of Chianti Classico, Monteriggioni, Crete Senesi, the Via Francigena.
- Hot Springs: there are several natural hot springs in Tuscany which are feed by volcanic water from 30 to 55 degrees Celsius. Calidario and Saturnia have been frequented as far back as Etruscan and Roman times. You can add a relaxing element to your holiday in Tuscany with a day in at a thermal hot spring.
Our Guests Reviews
HOLIDAY HOME AMENITIES
- Pool: 6 x 17m
- Internet WIFI connection via DSL (available on ground floor common area only)
- Telephone on ground floor (free local calls)
- Flat screen TV (local channels) in main living room downstairs
- Steinway piano
- Lift from ground floor to upper floors
- Hair dryers in every bathroom
- Outdoor area for al fresco dining
- Parking on the grounds
- One small billiard game and one large pool table
- Table tennis
- Tennis court
- Darts board
- Large garden
- Garden wooden furniture and plastic furniture (with cotton tablecloths)
- Outside limonaia: pizza oven area with some metal benches and tables
FACILITIES USED BY STAFF
Kitchen (fully fitted) is usually used by catering staff only, unless self catering lunches are arranged with help of one of the staff members. Toasters, espresso machine, hot water urns, are all out in the common area and available at all times. Anything in the kitchen is only available in the presence of staff (among which are a food processor, moka machines, dishwasher, oven, gas stoves, hand held mixing/whipping machine,washing machine, iron).
A small elevator suitable for 2 people brings from the ground floor of the upper floors. No disabled facilities are provided. Furthermore the pool can be reached for people in a wheelchair.
SERVICE ON REQUEST
Siena 3 km
Brolio Castle 27 km
Montalcino 43 km
San Gimignano 48 km
Pienza 55 km
Volterra 63 km
Montepulciano 64 km
Florence 65 km
Cortona 73 km
Arezzo 75 km
Cetona 90 km
Assisi 125 km
Orvieto 140 km
Tennis court 4 km
Riding stable 4 km
Thermal spa centre 28 km
Golf course 70 km
Please note: the Google Maps are only approximative, the exact address will be given after finalized booking.
Choose your holiday home
Villa di Siena
- Living room
- TV room
- Dining room
- 2 Kitchens
- Laundry room
- 2 Guest WCs
- 1 bedroom with en suite bathroom
- 4 double rooms with en suite bathroom (tub and shower)
- 2 double rooms with en suite bathroom (shower)
- 2 single rooms with en suite bathroom (shower)
- 1 single room without bathroom
- 3 double rooms with en suite bathroom (tub and shower)
- 3 double rooms with en suite bathroom (shower)
- 2 single rooms with en suite bathroom (shower)
A total of 3 double bedrooms can be prepared as twin bedrooms.
- Outdoor dining area either in the garden or under the loggia
- Carefully manicured Tuscan garden surrounding the house with statues, flowers and cypress trees. These are surrounded by 100 hectares of olive groves, vineyards and woodland
- Swimming pool 17 x 6 m (depth of pool: min. 1m, max. 3m) with adjacent terrace and lawn area
- Tennis court (hard court)
- Bocce pitch (aka petanque or boules); an atmospheric lighting allows playing in the evening
Additional space available at extra carge:
Two large rooms are available for activities, conferences and events. Both rooms are about 80m2 in size and are in a quiet, separate location. These rooms can be used in a variety of ways for choir and music exercises, yoga classes, meetings and presentations, wine and oil tastings. One room can be opened to the surrounding courtyard and gardens. The other room is near the wine cellar. It is spacious and has great acoustics. This room is also used for wine tastings and provides the starting point for visits along the remarkable underground medieval and Etruscan passages that are part of the historical heritage of the estate.
16520 EUR €
Weekly rates in €
|Villa di Siena||01 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019
Villa di Siena
29+6 PAX 29
|16520 EUR €||N/A||Request BookingVilla di Siena|
Please complete the following form so that we can provide fast service in checking availability.
All fields marked with * are required.
- Click the green Submit button below to send your inquiry.
- If the villa/apartment is available, you can make your reservation after having received our response.
- Please also read How To Make A Reservation.
- Daily breakfast: The breakfast is prepared, served and cleared. The breakfast consists of two fruit juices, tea, coffee, hot milk, bread, toast, butter, two jams, boiled eggs, cold milk, a choice of cereals, plain yogurt and homemade cakes (apple, plum or yogurt cake, or pear tart). Cold meats can be provided at an extra cost of EUR 15 per day.
- Daily room cleaning
- Bed, bath and kitchen linens changed mid-week for all one week stays
- One pool towel per person
- Internet WIFI connection via DSL available on ground floor common area only
- Baby bed, high chair and potty free of charge for children under 3 years
- Final cleaning
- Staff member in case of self catering: Guests may self cater, however, one staff member of the estate must be present to assist at an additional cost of EUR 15 per hour. (Catered meals are also available and since groups tend to be large, this is the usual option for guests. Menus and menu planning can be provided.)
- Extra children's beds if requested: We can be provide children's beds for children under 12 years of age: EUR 15 per night.
- Increased space if requested: We can provide additional bed spaces by adding one:
- two bedroom flat (4 beds): EUR 295 per person/night
- one bedroom flat (2 beds): EUR 200 per person/night
- Tourist tax: EUR 2.50 per person/night
EUR 2000 payable on arrival in cash, cheque or credit card.
SERVICE ON REQUEST (please enquire with us when booking)
- Extra domestic help (house cleaning, washing and ironing): EUR 15 per hour
- Prepared meals: Meals can be arranged with our caterer. Prices range from EUR 22 per person (buffet menu of mixed starters, 1 main course and 1 dessert) to EUR 40 per person. This includes tax and bottled water, but excludes other beverages. Wedding meals are EUR 70 per person (excluding the wedding cake).
There is also a stone pizza oven can be used by caterers for pizza evening. The cost is EUR 22 per person and includes mixed starters, a selection of different pizzas and cake or ice cream, the cost excludes beverages.
- Food shopping on request: Guests will be charged the cost of the groceries plus EUR 15 per hour for staff time (usually 1-2 hours).
- Picnics: Can be provided on request, price varies depending on contents.
- Cooking lessons: Cooking classes (2-10 people) can be arranged for EUR 85 per person for 3 hour session in view of providing a meal for the whole group (EUR 25 per person for all those who don’t cook, but would like to partake in the meal), wine is an additional cost. Three day courses can also be arranged at EUR 220 per person.
- Estate visit & tastings: Cellars and underground passages can be visited with onsite oenologist together with wine and olive oil tasting (organic). The cost is EUR 12 per person.
- Groups: There are two large rooms that can be used for meeting/conferences/choir practices/yoga etc. There is a Steinway grand piano and a Hammond organ which can be made available for music based/choral groups. We have access to two churches for performing choirs. Outdoor spaces for yoga, spacious kitchen for cookery courses. The property is on 100 hectares of vineyards/olive groves and woodland and can be used for trekking/cycling tours.
- In-house masseur and yoga teacher
- Transport, tours, babysitter, bicycles: prices on request
- Bookings shorther than a week are possible on request. Please contact us for availability and prices.
- Pool opening dates: beginning June - mid September
Price reduction for smaller groups of 10, 14 or 22 people!As from
Medieval castle with pool in Umbria for large groups - Class listed/landmarked building
- Sleeps 30+5 Guests
- Bedrooms 15 Bedrooms
- Bathrooms 13 Bathrooms
- Floor area sq m 1000 m2 m2