A gentleman's retreat near Lucca
Set high in the idyllic landscape of the hills north west of Lucca, this patrician country house dating back to the 1700's was once the hunting lodge of an aristocratic Lucchesian family. Elegantly spread out over two floors the villa is grouped around an imposing central drawing room on the ground floor and surrounded by an extensive and enchanting well kept garden terraced on three levels. Stone lions guard the tall villa gates and the gardens are shaded by a centuries old lime tree which is sufficiently magnificent to be famous throughout the region.
On the ground floor, French windows lead out from the sitting room to a terrace with table and chairs which overlooks a small walled-in formal garden and the panorama beyond. A few steps lead down to an extensive lawned terrace and the swimming pool rimmed with borders of old roses, irises and hydrangea bushes. Lawns also lead up to the entrance of the villa framed by cypress trees, hibiscus and lemon trees in terracotta vases and the age-old spreading lime tree. The kitchen is fully equipped and there are five spacious bedrooms all of which have a splendid view. They have been decorated in an elegant country house style with pastel washed walls, wooden bedsteads, as well as paintings and other antiques belonging to the family.
The countryside around Lucca is an enduring testimonial to the hedonistic lifestyle of Lucca's noble families who between the fifteenth and nineteenth centuries built over three hundred patrician country residences on the gentle hillsides which surround the city. This villa landscape is famous all over the world. The elegant Villa del Parco built in the 1700's with its surrounding farmhouses is the epitome of this elegant country house era. Set high in the hills twenty minutes north west of Lucca with breath-taking panoramic views on every side, was once a hunting lodge belonging to an aristocratic family. The estate, which produces some of the finest olive oil in the region, consists of the villa, a number of farmhouses and several acres of land.
Life in the small hamlet where the villa is located has a fascination all its own, even attracting an American artist to set up house and his easel here. There is a small trattoria just down the road (2 km), while all around are other country villages, each with a different patron saint who is feted on a different day of the year with pageants and supper and dancing under the stars and fireworks lighting up the sky behind the next hill. This is a very fertile part of Tuscany with a patchwork of fields changing colour with the seasons, while the trees all stay the same, the dark green of the cypresses, the silvery olives and the holm oaks that never lose their leaves, all year round.
Our Guests Reviews
HOLIDAY HOME AMENITIES
- Pool: 6 x 12m
- Internet WIFI connection
- Fans in all bedrooms
- Sky TV
- DVD player
- Screens on all bedroom windows
- Washing machine
- Professional stove with 6 gas rings
- Large fridge and large freezer
- Fridge for drinks
- Coffee maker
- Food processor
- Hand mixer
- Iron and ironing board
- Hair dryer in each bathroom
Valpromano (village with shops) 4.5 km
Restaurants 8 km and 11 km
Lucca 18 km
Lido di Camaiore 20 km
Pisa 30 km
Viareggio 30 km
Forte dei Marmi 34 km
Thermal Spa Bagni di Lucca 40 km
Florence 90 km
San Gimignano 95 km
Siena 140 km
Lucca: Twenty minutes away by car, Lucca is one of the most enchanting towns in Tuscany - strolling along the wide avenues along the top of the ancient city walls or in the narrow streets with their ninety nine churches, browsing among the old-fashioned little boutiques, sipping a cappuccino at one of the many bars, tasting the best ice-cream, visiting the richly endowed museums - is a sheer delight. Don’t miss Lucca’s beautiful cathedral – and have a euro in your pocket, because Tintoretto’s Last Supper in the right nave of the church can only be admired after paying for the spotlight focused on it. The town is only 18 km from the villa.
Lucca is also home to one of Italy’s nicest antique markets. Depending on the time of the year, it can be small or take over Lucca’s two largest piazzas and almost all the streets and alleys in between. Lucca’s market is held each month on the weekend that has the third Sunday of the month.
The famous villas around Lucca: Some of these historic villas are open to the public and a few have internationally renowned gardens, all of which makes highly rewarding sight-seeing while staying in the area. The most important villas open to the public are Villa Reale di Marlia, Villa Grabau, Villa Bernardini, Villa Oliva, Villa Mansi, Villa di Carmigliano.
Pisa: The Piazza dei Miracoli, or the Square of Miracles with the Leaning Tower, the Duomo, the Baptistry, the Monumental Cemetery and the museums. Pisa is at 30 km from the villa.
Florence: Blessed with breathtaking landscapes and famed masterpieces, the so-called “Cradle of the Renaissance” is an open-air museum, a genuine lifestyle experience, a real, yet dreamlike, treasure chest, filled with innumerable inspiring discoveries. Florence is at 90 km.
Cinque Terre: set amid some of the most dramatic coastal scenery on the planet, ought to provide enough to bolster the most jaded of spirits. A Unesco World Heritage Site since 1997, Cinque Terre’s five villages date from the early medieval period. Sinuous paths tempt the antisocial to traverse seemingly impregnable cliffsides, while a 19th-century railway line cut through a series of coastal tunnels ferries the less brave from village to village. Thankfully cars – those most ubiquitous of modern interferences – were banned over a decade ago.
Pietrasanta: The small sculptors town Pietrasanta, just below the spectacular marble caves where the famous white carrara marble comes from (a fascinating excursion) is at 20 minutes.
The seaside: There are sandy beaches approximately thirty minutes away on the coast of Versilia at Viareggio and the fashionable Forte dei Marmi with lively bars, designer shopping and some of the best seafood restaurants in Italy.
Sport and Wellness: You can go cycling, play tennis and golf or relax in the spas in Bagni di Lucca or the beauty Farms in Vico Pisano and Montecatini. The hot springs of Bagni di Lucca: http://www.termebagnidilucca.it
The worlds smallest theatre (Guinness Book of Records) is the Teatrino di Vetriano, today owned by FAI (the Italian equivalent to the National Trust) https://www.fondoambiente.it/luoghi/teatrino-di-vetriano
Airports: Pisa airport is at 25 kilometres and 30 minutes away, while the Florence airport is 80 kilometres and 1 hour away. Lucca has a train station and an exit from the motorway.
Local shopping: The nearest village for your shopping is Valpromaro at a distance of 4.5 km.
Please note: the Google Maps are only approximative, the exact address will be given after finalized booking.
Choose your holiday home
Villa del Parco
- 1 entrance hall
- 1 sitting room with French windows to the terrace
- 1 smaller sitting room with fireplace
- 1 TV room
- 1 dining room
- 1 kitchen
- 1 cloakroom
- 3 double bedrooms
- 1 twin bedroom
- 2 single bedrooms
- 4 bathrooms
- 1 laundry
- Pool secured by a gate
- Pergola with table and chairs next to the pool
- Terrace with table and chairs off the main living room
- Large lawn in front of the house
- Small formal walled in garden at the back of the house
24 Sep 2022 - 29 Oct 2022
6990 EUR €
27 Aug 2022 - 24 Sep 2022
7990 EUR €
9980 EUR €
Weekly rates in €
|Villa del Parco||09 Apr 2022 - 14 May 2022
24 Sep 2022 - 29 Oct 2022
|14 May 2022 - 25 Jun 2022
27 Aug 2022 - 24 Sep 2022
|25 Jun 2022 - 27 Aug 2022
Villa del Parco
10 PAX 10
|6990 EUR €||7990 EUR €||9980 EUR €||N/A||Request BookingVilla del Parco|
Please complete the following form so that we can provide fast service in checking availability.
All fields marked with * are required.
- Click the green Submit button below to send your inquiry.
- If the villa/apartment is available, you can make your reservation after having received our response.
- Please also read How To Make A Reservation.
- Bed, bath and kitchen linens
- Internet WIFI connection
- 2 baby beds with linen and 1 high chair available. Baby bed can be booked for children up to their 3rd birthday: free of charge.
- Maid service (3 hours house hold help per day 5 days per week)
- Final cleaning
- Pool cleaning
- Should you have rented your house for more than 1 week, the house will be cleaned on Saturdays and the linen will be changed.
- Heating (if required): metered. Please be aware that central heating is very expensive in Italy. The average cost per day in winter varies from EUR 150 to 180 according to the outdoor temperature and the amount of time the heating is turned on. (This is an estimate for a few hours of heating in the mornings and in the evenings).
- Wood for fireplace: EUR 10 per basket
- Telephone: metered
EUR 1000 cash deposit are due on arrival.
SERVICE ON REQUEST (please enquire with us when booking)
- Extra domestic help (house cleaning, washing and ironing): EUR 15 per hour
- Typical Tuscan meal on your first evening, after a long trip: EUR 25 per person. The first dinner consists of an antipasto, a pasta dish, salad and pecorino cheese, fruit and local biscuits to finish plus bread, 1 bottle of mineral water and 1 bottle of wine for up to 4 people. The dinner can be ordered for a minimum of 4 people.
- Cook for dinners during your stay: EUR 30 per person (wine not included). A dinner prepared by the villa’s cook (who lays the table on the terrace or in the dining room) with antipasto, first course (lasagne pasta dish), second course (meat with vegetables and salad) and a dessert. A very nice house wine is available at an extra cost. Dinners should be booked at least 2 days in advance and are offered from Monday to Friday.
- First shopping: EUR 180 (expenses for a few basics and shopping time included). The shopping list includes: bread, butter, jam, eggs, 2 litres of milk, 1 packet Earl Grey tea, 1 packet coffee, natural yoghurt, 2 bottles of orange juice, 2 kg fruits of the season, 2 kg pasta (noodles), 2 jars tomato sauce, 1 piece fresh parmesan cheese, salad and tomatoes, extra vergin olive oil, 4 litres mineral water, 3 bottles of beer, dishwasher detergent.
- Reservations from Saturday to Saturday
- Availability only during the above mentioned dates
- PLEASE NOTE: For this property the check-in is possible only between 5 and 7 pm. Arrivals outside the above time frame have to be discussed with Hidden Italy upon booking.
- Pool opening dates: beginning of May - end of September
Luxury farmhouse in a fairy-tale setting
- Sleeps 12+4 Guests
- Bedrooms 6 Bedrooms
- Bathrooms 7 Bathrooms
- Floor area sq m 570 m2 m2