An apartment in walking distance to a village
La Scala is a modest apartment in a prime location: It is located on a historic estate of particular beauty. This estate stretches out over a hillside covered with vineyards, olive trees and woodland. It is set in the very heart of Chianti close to the main road from Florence to Siena, just 16 km south of Florence.
The estate is owned by one of Italy's oldest families (descendants of both a saint and Pope Clement XII who commissioned the Trevi Fountain in Rome). At one time the property owner could ride all the way from this estate to their palace in Rome without ever leaving their own land. Despite its august background, this property is a refreshingly friendly and relaxed estate: The owner's Renaissance villa (see aerial photograph), one of the finest in Tuscany, adorns the highest hill in the center of the estate. The Italian garden overlooking the Pesa Valley and the vast fourteenth century wine cellars and oil jar-storage complete the picturesque scenario. On the property there is a small family run Enoteca where you can have dinner served.
The estate has two farmhouse holiday structures: La Scala offered here, a small and simple apartment for 4 people located in a large farm building with use of the large pool of the Renaissance Villa and La Corte, a detached farmhouse with its own swimming pool (also featured in our portfolio). The two structures are at a distance of approx. 300 metres from each other.
Having entered the hudge estate, and having passed the wine cellars, an unpaved road of approx. 200 m leads to the large farm building: La Scala is located at the corner of the house, while the rest of the house is inhabited throughout the year by long-term tenants. In front of the apartment there is a beautiful fenced 300 sqm garden equipped for meals al fresco.
The apartment is situated on a spur of the farm building and its position accounts for the unusual shape of its interior. A short flight of steps leads from the private garden into the apartment. In the centre of the house, in keeping with true Tuscan tradition, is the charming kitchen with fireplace, which has been converted into a living room with kitchenette. A rather steep stone staircase (23 steps) leads to the upper floor with two bedrooms. There is a staircase protection for children (small door at the beginning of the staircase).
The guests of La Scala are welcome to use the very large pool of the Renaissance villa. The pool is shared with the owners of the villa. Be assured that the pool will never be crowded. Flowers, bushes and a vegetable garden line the path to the elegant pool, which is approx. 250 m from the apartment. You will find sunloungers at the pool area and your private gazebo as well. The pool is spectacularly located on a plateau of English lawn and sits above the valley. Even when swimming in the pool you can savour the enchanting view of one of the most beautiful Chianti valleys. The panoramic view from here is magnificent. And to add to your pleasure, the pool is romantically lit in the evening.
The farmhouse is just outside of San Casciano, approx. 1.5 km distant. You can walk into the charming town for lunch or dinner. San Casciano offers a good choice of excellent restaurants, a gelateria, several cappuccino bars, all kind of grocery shops, a cinema, a bank, a post office and a beautiful local market every Monday morning. If you travel during the colder months you will enjoy the heated public indoor pool of San Casciano which is only 800 metres from the property.
Florence instead is only a 15-minute drive away. Conveniently located just 1.5 km from the nearest bus stop, it is even possible to visit Florence without a car: During the week buses go regularly to Florence (approx. every 1.5 hours). In Florence the bus will take you to the main train station which is right in the centre of Florence - it is just a short walk from the station "Santa Maria Novella" to the Cathedral or the Uffizi.
La Scala is suitable for anyone interested in the inner workings of an olive-oil- and wine-producing estate. A selection of the best vintages is stored in the winery cellars in large kegs, and the olive oil is delcious. The location is perfect for touring central Tuscany and the setting is simply stunning.
Our Guests Reviews
Nous avons passé un excellent séjour dans cette belle demeure dans les collines du Chianti. L'accueil a été chaleureux et tout s'est déroulé à merveille. La maison est très tranquille. C'est idéal pour les familles.
V. Lefevre, August 2018
Our family had a wonderful stay. We enjoyed that we were away from the town but could easily drive to San Casciano for an evening stroll. The pool was in pristine condition and was enjoyed so much! We very much appreciated the friendly staff. We all want to go back!
F. Perez, July 2015
Sehr geehrte Versteckte Toskana,
es war für uns das erste Mal, dass wir Ferien online gebucht hatten und wir waren sehr positiv überrascht, wie gut alles geklappt hat und wie genau der Beschrieb der Wohnung auf Ihrer Homepage mit dem vorgefunden Objekt übereingestimmt hat!
Wir wurden vor Ort sehr zuvorkommend willkommen geheissen. Es standen sogar ein paar Grundnahrungsmittel, wie Pasta, Tomatensauce, Brot, Früchte usw. zur Verfügung, als wir ankamen. Die wöchtenliche Reinigung hat auch sehr gut geklappt.
Einzig eine kleine Anregung zur Optimierung hätten wir noch: der Gartentisch ist etwas klein geraten, wenn man zu viert daran essen möchte! Ausserdem ist das Gelände abschüssig, so dass der Tisch nie gerade hingestellt weden kann. Einer sitzt immer in starker Rücklage am Tisch. Vielleicht wäre es möglich, den Sitzplatz zu ebnen und evt. zu befestigen.
Sonst haben wir den Aufenthalt in La Scala sehr genossen. Es hat uns genau das geboten, was wir gesucht haben: eine atemberaubend schöne Landschaft mit viel Ruhe und einem wunderschönen Pool. Wir würden sehr gerne wieder einmal auf diese Art Ferien in der Toscana machten, würden dann aber lieber etwas näher an der Küste sein.
M. Felber-Kern, Oktober 2008
HOLIDAY HOME AMENITIES
- Pool: 6 x 15m / shared pool
- Private gazebo at the pool area
- TV (regional channels)
- Fridge with freezer
- 4-ring gas hob
- Washing machine
- 1 mobile fan
- Screens at the bedroom windows
- Private garden with table, chairs and barbecue grill
- Parking near to the house
- Internet WIFI connection available at the restaurant approx. 100 m distant (not in the apartment)
San Casciano 1.3 km
Cafés 1.5 km
Restaurant 1.5 km
Grocery shop 1.5 km
Greve in Chianti 12 km
Florence 16 km
Radda in Chianti 27 km
San Gimignano 39 km
Gaiole in Chianti 45 km
Siena 54 km
Arezzo 87 km
Lucca 91 km
Montalcino 92 km
Coast Versilia 117 km
Pisa 118 km
Montepulciano 121 km
Porto Ercole 175 km
Rome 290 km
The Chianti area: The hills of Chianti, criss-crossed with vines and crested with cypress trees have become the hallmark of Tuscany, the beauty of the landscape married to a quality of life which would be rare anywhere in the world. Chiantishire, as the English call it, has an infinite variety of hilltop villages where you can sip a cappuccino in one of the outdoor cafes in the medieval squares, of cellars where you can sample the local wines from the barrels, of little trattorias serving robustly satisfying Tuscan food with its hams and salamis and delicious pastas and wild boar stew with white beans and salads growing wild in the hedgerows. The back roads wind uphill and down, between old stone walls crested with pale violet irises past Romanesque cloisters, sandstone farmhouses and shepherds with their flocks of sheep producing the famed 'pecorino' cheese.
Sightseeing: You are in the heart of Tuscany (San Casciano is "the doorway to Chianti"), and the list of excursions half or a whole day away is long: Florence, famous for its fine Renaissance art, the walled city of Lucca with its 99 churches, the leaning tower of Pisa, the Val d'Orcia with the Renaissance town of Pienza and the wine-making meccas of Montepulciano and Montalcino and the awe-inspiring abbey of Sant'Antimo are just a few...
Distances: Florence is 15 minutes away, Greve in Chianti 25 minutes, San Gimignano 30 minutes, while Siena can be reached in 50 minutes. Montalcino and Pienza are a one and a half hour's drive, while the Thyrrenian sea is one hour away. Pisa and Lucca are one hour by car as well while the jet-set sea resort of Porto Ercole can be reached in approx. two hours.
Airports and transport: The Florence airport is 25 kilometres away and Pisa is at 118 kilometres, while the airport in Rome is less than three hours away and approx. 290 kilometres further south. The nearest railway station with most travel options is Florence.
Please note: the Google Maps are only approximative, the exact address will be given after finalized booking.
Choose your holiday home
- 1 living room with fireplace and kitchenette
- 1 bathroom with shower
- 1 double bedroom
- 1 small twin bedroom (beds can not be joined)
- 1 bathroom with tub
- Fenced garden (300 m2) equipped for meals al fresco
- Use of the pool of the Renaissance villa
Please note: The accommodation is suitable for a family with two children, not two couples. Although the beds of the twin room have a normal length, they can not be pushed together.
28 Nov 2020 - 31 Dec 2020
850 EUR €
29 Aug 2020- 28 Nov 2020
990 EUR €
1060 EUR €
Weekly rates in €
|La Scala||01 Jan 2020 - 28 Mar 2020
28 Nov 2020 - 31 Dec 2020
|28 Mar 2020 - 30 May 2020
29 Aug 2020- 28 Nov 2020
|30 May 2020 - 29 Aug 2020
4 PAX 4
|850 EUR €||990 EUR €||1060 EUR €||N/A||Request BookingLa Scala|
Please complete the following form so that we can provide fast service in checking availability.
All fields marked with * are required.
- Click the green Submit button below to send your inquiry.
- If the villa/apartment is available, you can make your reservation after having received our response.
- Please also read How To Make A Reservation.
- Bed, bath and kitchen linens
- Pool towels
- Baby bed with linen and high chair
- Pet allowed on request upon booking
- Maid service (4 hours house cleaning once a week / the cleaning service does not include the washing of the dishes and the guest's personal washing)
- Final cleaning
- Pool cleaning
- Wine tasting & tour to the wine cellar
- Should you have rented La Scala for more than 1 week, the linen will be changed on Saturday.
- Heating (if required): metered. Please be aware that central heating is very expensive in Italy. The average cost for one week in winter varies according to the outdoor temperature and the amount of time the heating is turned on. In the mid season the cost is accordingly lower. Approx. 6 hours of heating/day amount to EUR 150 per week.
- Wood for fireplace: please check price on the premises.
- Tourist tax
EUR 200 cash deposit are due on arrival.
SERVICE ON REQUEST (please enquire with us when booking)
- Cooking courses for adults: EUR 100 per person, minimum 2 people. The fee is not inclusive of wine. Cooking courses can be arranged from Tuesday to Friday, or in the morning commencing at 10.30 am or in the afternoon at 4.30/5 pm. The chef speaks English.
- Cooking courses for children eventually possible: please check prices on the premises.
- First shopping: EUR 60 (expenses for a few basics and shopping time included). The shopping list includes: bread, butter, jam, eggs, cheese, milk, 1 packet Earl Grey tea, 1 packet coffee, natural yoghurt, orange juice, fruits of the season, pasta (noodles), jar tomato sauce, 1 piece fresh parmesan cheese, salad and tomatoes, extra vergin olive oil, mineral water, beer, red wine, dishwasher detergent.
- Extra set of linen during the week: please check price on the premises.
- Babysitter: please check price on the premises.
- Horse riding excursions: please check price on the premises.
- Reservations during July and August only from Saturday to Saturday
- Reservations during other months are not limited to rental periods from Saturday to Saturday. Minimum 7 days. If rented longer than a week the number of nights will be invoiced.
- PLEASE NOTE: For this property the check-in is possible between 4:00 and 5:30 pm.
- The restaurant, by the winery, is open for lunch every day and also on the evenings of Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
- Pool opening dates: beginning June - end of September, depending on weather conditions
Apartments in a stately 18th-century villa with extraordinary views
- Sleeps 2/4+1 Guests
- Bedrooms 1/2 Bedrooms
- Bathrooms 1/2 Bathrooms
- Floor area sq m 50/115 m2 m2
Family friendly farmhouse apartments
- Sleeps 4/6 Guests
- Bedrooms 2/3 Bedrooms
- Bathrooms 2/3 Bathrooms
- Floor area sq m 70/160 m2 m2
Farmhouse apartements for couples and families
- Sleeps 2/4 Guests
- Bedrooms 1/2 Bedrooms
- Bathrooms 1/1 Bathrooms
- Floor area sq m 40/60 m2 m2
3 cosy guest apartments near Siena
- Sleeps 2/4+2 Guests
- Bedrooms 1/2 Bedrooms
- Bathrooms 1/2 Bathrooms
- Floor area sq m 30/160 m2 m2